General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Noises!!! Don't like it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 PM
Default New Noises!!! Don't like it!

Okay, so I have a 1990 Toyota Camry SE 4cyl. I purchased it from a salvage yard with a blown motor. Replaced the engine with a lower mileage engine and ended up rebuilding both the top end and low end of the engine..

My first issue is that after sitting overnight when I turn on the car it rattles for 1-2 seconds until the oil light goes out.. Lifters?? I'm not positive what it is.

Second issue is that whenever I make a complete stop and then accelerate something goes POP in the front passengers side.

My third issue is just recently my car has started to make a rubbing sound that sounds like rubber rubbing against something. I am leaning towards it being a dust plate but open to ANY suggests on all things! Thanks!! Help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Tyler

Last edited by rufus2fuss; 06-01-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Use a section of hose or pipe as a stethoscope, have someone start the engine in the morning while you listen.

Listen a the valve cover, bottom of block where the crank and rod bearings would be, side of engine where timing cover is.

As to the pop. Any connection to the pop and chassis shifting position as in a suspension part moving.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely have to have someone else start my car when I can. I guess I would have liked to think that I wouldn't have to worry about the integrity of my engine for awhile as I have done so much work on it but I guess that is not the case. As for the pop I have my thoughts that it may be the control arm... Your thoughts?
Have a great day!
Tyler

Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

If control arm inspect the rubber bushings where the arm bolts to the chassis, sometimes they break down. You can view them from the side.

Check the sway bar linkage where it attaches to the control arm.

Sometimes the strut suspension coil spring will break.

Check CV joint for excess play and make sure the axle nut is tight.

Sometimes the oil filter drain back valve (inside the can) will stick open causing oil to drain back.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 PM

Hey! Its been awhile! So I checked my control arm on my right (passengers) side and the rubber is brittle and broken up.. I feel like this could be worth a shot to replace.. But I am still trying to figure out what this rubbing sound coming from my drivers front tire may be.. I took it to a mechanic because I was beside myself and they are dumbfounded themselves.. All the things that I have thought it could be there is evidence against it..
It is directly linked with the speed of the vehicle and when you jack up the car and turn the wheel it doesn't make the noise anymore.. When you go really slow it sounds like rubber rubbing against metal.. When you go faster it turns into a "chucking" noise... Here is what I know it isn't.. It isn't the calipers, CV joint has no extra play, not the tranny because when you jack it up and put it in gear it doesn't do it, and its not the dust shield... Nothing is touching the tire.. It is getting louder also... Any input would be greatly appreciated!