General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in heat duct under driver seat '07

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Default Noise in heat duct under driver seat '07

I had a problem about six months ago with a noise like a marble rolling around somewhere in the dash area. After much investigation, my dealer found that somebody had dropped a round candy and it had rolled into the squat plastic duct under the driver's seat that conducts heat to the rear foot area. This is horrible design on Toyota's part, because it appears it's happened again! Does anybody know how difficult it is to remove the driver's seat and get into these ducts? The dealer managed to squeeze the first time through on warranty, but I'm sure I'll have to pay to have it found again.

I've put a strong shop vac against it and tried to suck whatever it is out, but that didn't work.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Noise in heat duct under driver seat '07

Remove the headrest.

Look under the seat to find two tracks (rails) that the seat rides back and forth on. These tracks are bolted to the car chassis at each end (4 bolts total per seat/ 2 bolts per track).

These bolts are hidden by removable plastic covers that can be gently pried off with a screwdriver. Once the bolts are removed the seat is free to move.

If a power seat and or the seat has airbags installed you may need to disconnect the wiring harness going to the seat. Toyota states to disconnect the battery before doing this and waiting at least 90 seconds before disconnecting any wiring plugs. This is to prevent accidental airbag deployment.

For Toyotas disconnecting the battery can get complicated for several reasons. Not up on what happens in these newer generation cars so just going on past experience with older cars, perhaps Toyota has changed things.

If the car has a theft protection system, upon reconnection of the battery the system may engage and require resetting to turn the horn or other items off. If the car has an engine immobilize you may not be able to start the engine until resetting the system. Typically this is done with your master key but not up to speed on this generation of car.

Second, if the car has a radio or some other electronic system with a memory, the memory will be lost. If the radio or other electronic systems have a theft prevention system (not sure Toyota still does this) and the system is turned on (you are originally owner would normally do this), you will need to input the security code to get it to operate. Suggest reading your owners manual carefully on these security items. It should tell you what security systems the car and electronics have.

Unbolting the seat and wiring is easy. The issue is what happens when the battery is disconnected and reconnected (if anything). Perhaps you can remove the bolts, leave the wiring in place then rock the seat forward enough to access the ductwork.