General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

oil pan reseal

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Post oil pan reseal

I went to dealer this morning for a regular oil change. The guy wants me to do "oil pan reseal", "new trans pan gasket and new fluid" and "coolant flush". First will cost me 255.89 dollars plus tax, the second will cost me 149.00 dollars plus tax. The last will cost me 109.95 plus tax. Total: 514.84 dollar. Is this price reasonable? Shall I let them do it or do it by myself? Thanks a lot!

My camry: 2003, had 80,820 miles on it.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 PM

Is the oil pan leaking? If not then don't repalce gasket. In many cases a simple retorque of the pan bolts will stop small leaks.

If you have not changed transmission filter, or don't know when it was last changed, then I would say at 80k it may need doing. You can do just a flush. Many shops will suggest this but I would have the pan removed, change the filter, and then replenish lost fluid. If you do this and then flush that would be better still but not really necessary unless the removed fluid looks dark or smells burned.

If you do it yourself you will need to be able to capture fluids. Kinda messy but not impossible or particulary hard to do. The prices seem a little steep to me but I don't usually pay attention to posted prices at shops because I do these chores myself. Obviously you cannot do the flush yourself.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ireneki
Shall I let them do it?
If you have not seviced the trans fluid for 80K I'd say flush with new. You don't need to replace the trans filter (just a screen). It's hard for me to believe the trans pan gasket and oil pan gasket are leaking with only 80K. I'd do what Flyer1 suggests and inspect for yourself first, if you see a little seepage then tighen pan fasteners - but not much as they take very little torque. Last I paid for coolant flush was about $70, but as with Flyer1 I don't let mechanics touch my car very often. For the trans and coolant flush I'd shop around at independant shops.

or shall I do it myself
Not the coolant flush, yes for trans flush if you search on how to do it (you'll need a helper). Trans pan gasket is an easy DIY, pan gasket may need the exhaust removed on an 03, your call. I do all but coolant flush. BUT, once the coolant has been flushed with new then just drain the rad once per year and replace with 50/50 premix, you'll never have to flush coolant again.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Thumbs up Thanks a millions!!!

Really helpful~~~I think there is no leaking. They just want me to change something which are not necessary.

Thanks a lot for the useful advice. I probably won't do it at this point by myself. It is kinda hard for a girl. I will wait and see. Car runs very well now.

I will save all the advice. thanks again.