General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OVERHEATING 1987 toyota camry LE manual 4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Default OVERHEATING 1987 toyota camry LE manual 4 cylinder

Hello team toyota.

This is the only place I could find to make a new post so forgive me and direct me please if this is wrong area.

I am having overheating problems in my 1987 toyota camry LE manual 4 cylinder and wanted to explain what is and when it is happening.

-when I drive under 60miles/hr (100km) everything seems fine.
-when I drive over 100km/hr consistantly for 10-15 mins, then come to stop, engine over heats.
-I try to turn heater on until I can pull over, which does some help, but no heat comes out when on high (but does on low).
-both intake and outake hoses for rad are hot.
-no antifreez leaks under car
-it seems the No.2 coolant fan (facing engine) will not come on until I pull over and wait/idle for5-10 seconds.
-temp gage in car seems normal (until engine overheats of course)
-I can hear fluid circulating through the engine at times while driving so not sure if thermo is stuck closed.

Now I have heard possibilities of blown head gasket but wanted to make my own post 1st to hear everyones opinions because this seems to only happen when I drive at high RPM's and over 100km/hr's

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OVERHEATING 1987 toyota camry LE manual 4 cylinder

If overheating at hwy speeds this suggests a problem with the coolant system.

The lack of heat at high heater blower speeds could be partially plugged heater core or the heater control valve may not be openning fully.

The fan not turning on for a time may be normal. There is a temp switch installed in the radiator set to come at around 199F. Remove the radiator cap (engine cold), install any kind of thermometer, watch the coolant rise, determine the temp the fan is kicking on at.

Suggest flushing the radiator, block and heater core. You can do this by removing coolant hoses and the T-stat (reconnect the housing) then use a garden hose to flush all system.

The radiator should be able to flow the hose output without backing up.

Remove a hose going to the heater core, with valve fully open flush the core with the garden hose.

The should be a block drain plug, might be behind the block drivers side.

As a cheap first step install a new T-stat, the old one may not be fully openning.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Default RE: OVERHEATING 1987 toyota camry LE manual 4 cylinder

Thanks Toyomoho (is that right?) for yor awesome suggestions. I am starting to understand the issue now.

My manual should guide me through the flush prosess hey?

thanks again

Tomas