General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston soak, scoping the cylinder before and after

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Default Piston soak, scoping the cylinder before and after

A quart of Kreen is on it's way to me, as is a USB boroscope that will fit down the spark plug hole. Idea is after Christmas I will scope out the top of the pistons with the camera to get a before image/video, do the Kreen soak, then scope it again after to see what difference it made. I'm burning a bit of oil, so hoping this will help. When this is all done I'll post up the pics and vids.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Please post back with the results.

Motor has some interesting info on upper engine decarbonization.

MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems

Old 12-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Nice read, thanks. I will for sure post up all my procedures, pics, and results!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 PM

So:

In the middle of trying to collect data on oil consumption. I'd prefer to know how much oil I am burning up prior, then compare post a soak, so I know if it had a hand in making that better. So far, at 1,300 miles, I haven't appeared to burn any oil. IT is a bit over top mark thanks to using a smaller filter and going 5 qts (accidentally) instead of the 4.5 indicated, but still doesn't appear that I have burned up much of any yet.

And look what came in the other day:

Name:  DSC00518_zps54789bce.jpg
Views: 3719
Size:  309.9 KB

Name:  DSC00519_zps4164254e.jpg
Views: 3683
Size:  276.6 KB

That last one is a $26 Chinese clone of Techstream that many have used and rave about. So I will be scoping my cylinders sometime in the next several weeks, then soaking with Kreen (that came in a few days ago), then scoping again. And, I'll be checking out my new Techstream similar software.

A quick test video of my borescope below. Looks like it will work well, $19.99!! Going to get mirrors for it for $15 more, so I can drop into the valves and take a look.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Very cool! I'm looking forward to your update!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 PM

This weekend I plan to scope the cylinders. Not sure what will really be able to be gleaned from it, but we will probably see a bunch of black. Then I'll do the soak, and see if it at least makes a difference on the top of the cylinders. Probably will, but not sure that will mean much. I'll have to decide if I want to remove the valve cover and scope down to the valves before and after...

Old 12-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Please post back with your findings.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:55 PM

Got my set of mirrors for the scope in today: 30, 45, and 90 degree. What is great is that they screw on to the end, rather than slip on or those that are pick style. That means I have no fear of loosing them in the block. So, I am thinking I will scope my valves as well. Now I just have to find that laptop.... grrr.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Had setbacks for various reasons, but finally got a working 32 bit XP based laptop, loaded the software and scanned my Camry with it (works great), and can now plan my activities. I'll post a new thread up with the scoping results. I ordered another quart of Kreen from Kanolabs, so when that comes in I plan to:

- lift the valve cover and scope the top of the pistons and down into the valves before the soak
- replace cover, soak all four plug holes over night, and dump a quart of Kreen into the oil
- blow out the plug holes the next day, tighten all up and run for ~ 500 miles (1 week)
- remove cover again and re-scope to see what differences are there

Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Nice!

Quick Reply: Piston soak, scoping the cylinder before and after