General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power seat diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Default power seat diagram

The driver's power seat in my 97 XLE is stuck in the full up position. The motor is turning but the seat just clicks & will not move. I know I am going to have to remove the seat. I was wondering if anyone had a parts diagram so that I could know what I am dealing with before I pull the seat? Any info would be appreciated.

Pat

Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

A gear could be stripped.

The seat is held on by 4 bolts. One bolt on each end of the seat rail. The rear bolts are covered by a plastic snap on cover. Use a screw driver to pry off.

Disconnect the wiring to the seat. Remove seat.

Turn over seat to access lower portion where F/R motor is.

Blue wire is +12V, white/black is ground.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 AM

I am thinking something is stripped also. I am hoping I can at least get the seat in the fully down position. I can try to repair when it gets a little warmer. Thanks.

Pat

Old 02-27-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

It's a screw jack system. You should be able manually rotate the screw rod with perhaps vice grips. Most likely the plastic drive gear is stripped (not available separately).

One more thing. If the seat has a built-in airbag, there will be a different wiring harness for this (perhaps yellow). If the seat has an air bag, there will be words to this effect such as Airbag, SRS, etc. on area over the air bag.

Once you unplug the airbag wiring DON't turn on the ign key. If the ign key is turned on, the air bag computer will run a diagnostic test. The result will be finding a problem caused the disconnected wiring. The computer will then set a code which will NOT reset on its own once the wiring is connected.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
It's a screw jack system. You should be able manually rotate the screw rod with perhaps vice grips. Most likely the plastic drive gear is stripped (not available separately).

One more thing. If the seat has a built-in airbag, there will be a different wiring harness for this (perhaps yellow). If the seat has an air bag, there will be words to this effect such as Airbag, SRS, etc. on area over the air bag.

Once you unplug the airbag wiring DON't turn on the ign key. If the ign key is turned on, the air bag computer will run a diagnostic test. The result will be finding a problem caused the disconnected wiring. The computer will then set a code which will NOT reset on its own once the wiring is connected.
Thanks for the warning. I do not have side airbags. The only wires I saw were the seatbelt sensor & harness going to the 3 motors. Will pull the seat tomorrow.

Pat

Old 02-27-2018, 07:04 PM

Well, I pulled the seat. As expected, there is nothing wrong with the motor. The shaft goes into a white plastic thing that I suppose houses the gear to move along the shaft. Nothing I did could get the seat to move down. I am going to have to pull that motor along with the gearbox. When I get a dry day(it's Oregon) I will go to u-pull-it to try & find replacement.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back.