General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power window stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Default Power window stopped working

Hi,
I have a Toyota Camry 2002, one of the windows (back window the one behind driver side to be exact) is stop working (can't go up or down). the other 3 windows are working fine. I am thinking of replacing the PINK 30Am fuse which controls the P/W but here is my question: If the other three windows are working..then it might not be the fuse. I read on some posts that alll windows are controlled by one fuse, I am confused.
So could it be the window motor/regulator assembbly that needs to be replace? or...
Any tips is greatly appreciated.

bunja94

Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Does the window work with either the drivers or passenger switch?

The system has several fuses, however IF the other windows work with the drivers and passenger switch the fuses and relay are OK.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Thanks toyomoho and I confirmed that both the drivers and door switches are not working for this door. However, they are working fine for other doors. Whats next?
Any advice?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the wiring running between the drivers door and chassis breaks down due to constant flexing as the door is used. This can cause problems with the power door lock and windows.

Might also be a loose wire connection(s) at the drivers switch console going to that window motor.

Each motor has two power wires running to it from the passengers (lets say Green and Red). By changing the voltage polarity in the wires, motor direction is changed and thus the up/down action of the window.

Each passenger motor also has two sources of power.

One is from two wires that run from the drivers switch to the passenger control switch (lets say Green/Black and Red/Black) and then to the motor (via the Green and Red wires). By moving the drivers switch fwd or back the voltage polarity in the wires is determined which causes the motor to turn one direction or the other. The wiring setup is the same for each passenger window.

The other source of power to the motor is a hot power wire (lets say Blue wire) coming from the drivers switch console (not the switch but the console) and going to the each passenger switch.

When the passenger switch is engaged, power comes from this Blue wire and is directed via the passenger switch to the appropriate Red or Green wire of the motor to make the motor turn one way or the other.

Since the motor needs two power connections to operate (neg and pos), the switch also connects the return wire from the motor (either Red or Green) to one or the other wires coming from the drivers switch (Green/Black or Red/Black) to complete the circuit.

This is somewhat confusing. You might make a diagram.

Prior to replacing the motor try powering it directly with DC power.

If using a voltmeter to troubleshoot make sure to not use the chassis as a ground point. Remember when a either the drivers or passenger switch is moved one of the wires coming from the drivers switch (Green/Black or Red/Black) is serving as a return. The wire will change depending on the direction of the switch (polarity).

The Blue wire should always be hot.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks Joey,
I've seen some posts with a similar issue so I am thinking of replacing the master control switch. However, I don't know why it costs around $190 for Carmy 2002 model?? This is must be an expensive experiment for me. I hope it will be ez to replace the switch.

bunja94

Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

If going this route find one from a salvaged car at a junk yard.