General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powertrain warranty expiring - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Default Powertrain warranty expiring - recommendations?

Hello. I have a 2007 Camry - the powertrain warranty is up next month.

I maintain it well (have had it for about two years) and, fingers crossed, have not had any problems with it so far.

I last had it inspected/regular maintenace service (per Toyota manual) about six months ago (at a reputable shop, not the dealer - don't get me started on dealers....mine in particular, who seems to be little more than a cash grabber....).

Given the powertrain warranty is about to expire is there any merit at all in bringing it to the dealer for one "last inspection" before the warranty is up. Not even sure what they would inspect or whether they'd just do a regular maintenance/oil and filter.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome...
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Not how sure the dealer will be forth coming in wanting to identify items that need fixing under warranty. Many dealers do not like warranty work as the profit margins are less.

Suggest a third party inspection.

One thing to check is if any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) apply to your car. The link below explains what they are:

How Can a Technical Service Bulletin Help Me? - Edmunds.com

The actually TSB's can be found at sites like Alldata, they charge a fee but you may be able to subscribe for a day to download them.

Read the TSB's then note if you think any apply to your car. Not all cars are effected and the dealer will not apply a TSB unless the car has the symptoms described in the TSB and they think the fix is covered by the TSB.

Perhaps your dash board rattles under the windshield. This problem may be wide spread enough that a TSB was issued to explain the cause and repair.

Best not to mention you know about TSB's as some dealers don't like customers telling them how to fix you car. Take the car in and state the car does this and that. If the dealer states it's "normal" you might mention you read something somewhere about a service bulletin on the problem.

Only ask the dealer to fix real problems, TSB are not a green light to have every one applied to your car. As stated before, some cars were effected, most were not.

TSB's do give the owner a place to start looking. Something they may think is normal or have just gotten used to may not be normal and have a fix.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM

no. esp if it's made in japan. keep driving. stop freaking out over it. not good for heart and cranial intra cavitory pressure.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM

I'm with ^^^

Originally Posted by jtmann
Powertrain warranty expiring - recommendations?
pick a Monday night, when there aren't a lot of patrons,
go down to your local bar and grill and buy a round for the house.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 PM

just let it go... just get a new one if it turn out bad.