General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Puttering Sound

Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Default Puttering Sound

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry XLE that has run beautifully ever since I've owned it. Recently, however, I have noticed a puttering sound that occurs when I accelerate from park (so it's only at a low speed). The sound is transient and seems to only appear when my steering wheel is turned (as when I pull out of the driveway). It is sort of a puttering sound (almost like a gas) and comes from the right side of the car under the hood. As the car warms up the sound also seems to disappear. For example, if I have been running my car for a while and turn it off. When I come back out to my car and pull out, and the engine is still warm, I can't recreate the sound. What do you think this sound could be? I would be very appreciative of whatever your thoughts are, no matter how small. I think I have an idea of what it could be, but I'm going to withhold my answer so as not to bias yours. My specialization is in medicine and even though my undergraduate degree was in engineering, it was in biomedical and chemical engineering, and therefore I don't consider myself an expert on vehicles. I have a lot of student debt and I am trying to avoid expenses. Is there anything preventative that can be done?

Thank you for your help,
CCMphysician

Old 01-02-2010, 05:10 PM

The best tack would be to have a friend with an OBDII gauge come over and plug into the car as you start it. If the engine is throwing a code that would catch it.

I'd look at the IAC valve.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 AM

I've thought about that too, but what's weird is that it's only when the steering wheel is turned. That and the sound is coming from the right side of the car (sitting from the driver's seat it sounds like from underneath the coolant reservoir). I was thinking about taking a look at the exhaust manifold? I was also thinking it might be a CV joint circling the drain but I can't justify the puttering sound that way. It really sounds like a gas puttering.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

The power steering pump is on the right side of the car. Bolted very low on the engine and next to the firewall. Check this area for noise. The pump has a pressure relief valve that might be able to make a putting noise if not working OK.

A bad CV joint typically makes a clicking or popping noise when making 90 or 180 degree turns are low speeds. This can happen when accelerating but less often. The noise typically does not lessen once the car is warmed up.

Does engine RPM change any when the noise occurs?

Does the car have ABS, the ABS valve system could be in the are of the overflow tank.

If you use the A/C system, the A/C compressor clutch has been know to make kind of a rattling noise.

Suggest you use a section of rubber hose as a stethoscope to run down the location of the noise.

Sometimes the upper suspension strut mount bearing can wear and make a popping noise when turning the steering wheel. This noise can be much worse when first driving after the car has sat over night.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 AM

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Thank you for your help. I finally crawled under my car and decided to look more closely. I inspected the axle and sure enough, the outer CV boot is torn and not just torn, it's been ripped almost completely off. I will be having the axle replaced ASAP.

Thank you again,
CCM

Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with your find.