General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Rims - question re dealer vs Cdn Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Default Rims - question re dealer vs Cdn Tire

Rims - question re dealer vs Cdn Tire

I have a 2007 Camry LE 07 (16 inch wheel) and considering buying a second set of rims to make all-season/winter changeovers less expensive and easier. I have priced it at my local dealer and others, including

Canadian Tire. The dealer's charging $80 a rim (320 a set) and Canadian Tire site lists "Factory Original Fit Steel wheel" at $55. So that's $100 savings per set. Both would be black steel (the link to the Canadian Tire rims Factory Original Fit Steel wheel|Canadian Tire )

My questions for the forum are:
1.) I assume the dealer product and the Canadian Tire product would be same quality? Any watch outs from youe experience?

2) The dealer said the rims I'd but from them I would not need a seocnd set of lug nuts - the ones on her now would fit second set. If Canadian Tire's are "Factory Original Fit Steel wheel" then would I need a second set of lugs or not?

3) I assume my hub caps would also fit the CT rims if they are "factory orgi fit"?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Factory original fit may not mean the rim is exactly the same as the factory rim.

Factory rims from the dealer would be made to the same spec's as original rims and thus the same lugs nuts would fit.

However, given the basic design of stock automobile rims would be surprised if the factory lug nuts did not fit the Canadian Tire rims.

Hub caps should fit but would call Canadian tire to confirm.

Have you looked at auto salvage yard rims. Typically these are cheaper say $25-30 each.

Call a few auto junk yards. Have the tire size, number of lug bolts (assume 5), year and model of car ready and ask if they have any Toyota rims that will fit this car.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM

yeahhh...
ok, I have 07 Camry Hybrid with 16 inch alloys. It gets icy or snowy once in a while around here, so this is what I did:
went to local mexican place and bought 2 steel rims, or steelies, for 10 bucks each. Bought 2 SLIGHTLY used studded, studdies, for $70.
grand total at that place, for tires mounted on steelies, balanced - $120 cash.

questions?
I had set of 4 quality tires for my Ranger FOR FREE off craigslist. 10 000 miles on them. I have not bought a tire from a store in yrs. why?

btw, if your Camry has TPSs, installing tires without them will cause TPS light to come and you'll have to manually reset it.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Thanks to all for the comments. What is your opinion on the following three options I've uncovered?

1. Toyota dealer - new steel rims (obviously manufacturer original) - $80 each/$320 a set

2. After-market (Canadian Tire) - new steel rims (promoted as 'factory spec', but aftermarket supplier obviously) - $55 per/$220 per set

3. An auto parts supplier in my city - used steel rims from a Camry(s) (likely salvaged) - currently have four rims in stock, three from a 2009 Camry LE and one a 2007 LE (mine is an 07 LE). Auto parts supplier has been around since 1996, promotes the rims as fully inspected and has a 5-year warranty on the rims. $35 per/$140 per set

Some have suggested I go to independent salvage yards, but none in my area with Camry rims.

I'm only keeping the car another 3 years so cost matters and math doesn't work for me to do #1/dealer, so it's between 2 and 3. I’ve read/gotten mixed reviews of #2/aftermarket so I'm leaning to #3. Realize they come from salvage but with the history of the company, inspection and warranty it feels low risk. Only thing I wouldn't know is how many miles on the rims - is that an issue/what's typical maximum life/mileage on steel rims anyway?

Thanks for the input and tolerating the newbie questions!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

You might be overly concerned about rim quality issues.

There is a very good market for used rims and tires. Look at the price difference between used and new rims and tires and you will understand why.

Suggest the used rims-Item 3. I have gone this route and saved a lot of money.

Most tires and rims are removed from salvaged cars, then the tires are removed from the rim. If the tires are good the salvage yard will either sell them themselves or wholesale them to a used tire store.

Car tire rims do not wear out due to mileage because the cars axle weight is not enough to overstress the rim. A Camry rim is designed to handle at least the max tire loading which typically 1850 lbs. The car has 4 tires thus a total of 7400 lbs assuming the loading on all tires is equal. The car weighs around 3600 lbs add passengers and fuel and looking at around 4400 lbs as such the tires and rims have a very large reserve capacity.

A semi-truck or motor home tire/rim may be loaded to their maximum capacity from the weight of the vehicle and as such may start to crack with age. If buying used truck or motor home rims then would be concerned and have them carefully inspected.

It is possible for a rim to be bent from hitting something like a curb or badly rusted from sitting outside too long but this can be checked by eye inspection.

Go with item 3.

One other suggestion is to shop Craigslist. Can often find used rims and tires for good prices.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the advice gents. The overwhelming feedback has been to go # 3 – the used OEM rims from the auto parts supplier. On that, two questions:

1. Would Toyota rims have any markings/stamping on them where I could tell they were truly OEM, not after market being passed off as OEM?

2. My 2007 Camry LE manual/specs list tow wheel sizes – 16 x 16.5 J and same except JJ. My dealer and Toyota are useless – any way to tell whether I am a J or JJ?

Thanks again