General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scrapping my 1995 Camry V6 Wagon???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Default Scrapping my 1995 Camry V6 Wagon???

I have two Camry wagons, one is the V6 engine type. I would like to scrap it for metal value. It is in terrible terrible condition as it has been ravaged by my two dogs, abused in driving, and hauled much more than it should be given. The mechanical problems are overheating, bad water pump, scratched windshield, ruined interior, bad exterior and rusted brake lines (broken actually).

However since I have another 1995 Wagon 2.2 4cyl I was thinking about salvaging as many recyclable parts as I could before getting the V6 hauled away. So far I plan on taking:

1. All light fixtures
2. Starter + Alternator
3. Rear Window - How to remove? BTW
4. Brake Pads
5. Catalytic Converter - How much are these typically worth?

Any recommendations on what else to remove or not remove before scrapping the car. Also how much should I expect for its value in scrap?

Thanks for any tips!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest for starters calling a few auto salvage yards for prices on scrap cars. Determine if they will pick the car up or not which may make a difference in how much they pay. They may pay less for a body that is stripped as there is less value.

How willing are you to maximize the scrap value of the car as in taking the car apart?

The heads and engine block are aluminum, if the original radiator it may be brass.

If you have the storage space suggest you strip every electrical component that will swap out to the 4 cylinder. This could be electrical door lock actuators, heater motor blower assy, cruise control computer and actuator box inside the engine, etc. Various components on the engine may or may not swap out such as 02 sensors, engine air temp sensor, etc. You can compare part numbers at auto parts sites on the internet.

The brake pads may not fit as the V6 brakes may be larger in diameter. If the V6 rear brakes are disk there may be value here for someone wanting to swap drums for disks.

Since the car is going to be scrapped might remove the rear door instead of risking breaking the window when removing.

As I recall the figure of $75 has come up for the converter but ?

Once done the value of car body may be nil to an auto salvage yard but you may be ahead in $$ from selling the various individual items for scrap metal plus have a store of parts that can be swapped out. Some scrap yards will take car bodies but they may need to be stripped of all fluids, etc.

The 4 cylinder and V6 differ in engine, trans (engine computer), radiator, axles, brakes, suspension coil springs, body differences, etc. Most other parts will swap.

Last edited by toyomoho; 10-22-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Thanks Tomo,

This car is really beat looking though but apparently some other people also like the Camry wagons so it is somewhat desirable. So far after calling several salvage yards the highest price is $425 if it runs and I bring it to them complete. They did not say how much the car would be if I removed parts but considerably less and said they offer $150 per ton for scrapped cars if I choose to remove parts.

I am going to try to sell it with a starting price of $850 or best offer and see if I get any takers. I doubt it as it needs about $100 in parts to run correctly. A mechanic told me the engine is not blown so the overheating did not kill it.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Good idea on trying to sell it to a third party.

Either way might take the cash.