General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoking after a long idle

Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Default Smoking after a long idle

I have a 97 camry. I just put a junk yard engine in it that seems to be running fine with good power.

Today I was parked for about an hour at idle with A/C on. I noticed it started to run odd. Then when I started to go again it was putting out a good amount of smoke out the exhaust. The Temp guage never moved from its normal place. I did put on a new Gates water pump when i put in the engine.

Any ideas? I am planning on replacing radiator with a newer one and a new Toyota thermostat.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of smoke, coolant or oil?

What color, white, blue?

If the temp gauge doesn't move the coolant temp is OK.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:41 AM

Could be burning oil. If the junk yard engine sat awhile, may be the rings and all that fun stuff got brittle. Check the oil level and see if it looks lower.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 PM

It was oil smoke. I did it again today as a test, not as long. So i would say the rings are a bit iffy. Anything I can do besides the unthinkable? STP or some magic goo that I can add to the oil?

I have only had it running for a week. Maybe I will be postive and it will get better. It does not appear to be using any oil so far.

I also used cheap walmart oil since I am going to change it after 500 miles. I am a castrol fan.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Strange if stuck rings it doesn't smoke all the time.

Check the PCV system.

Could be bad valve stem seals, common with age. More so if an engine has sat for a length of time without being operated. Typical this results in smoke at cold start up. If the seals, the problem will get worse.

It is possible to replace the seals on the engine but it is very time consuming and tedious.

For ring problems. Try pouring a little engine sludge chemical cleaner into the spark plug hole and letting it sit for a few days. Prior to installing the plugs, make sure the cleaner has drained out to the pan. Meaning you don't want liquid in the cylinder when cranking over the piston with the spark plugs installed.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 PM

It doesn't smoke at start up or any other time.

I will check the PVC.

Are you talking about Droping some seafoam in the spark plug holes? Like a few table spoons?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps something called Kreen.

Put enough in that it can get down into the rings.

CF member DIYDad has a thread on piston soaking to try to unplug oil ring drain holes. Search on the word Kreen.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:58 AM

Kreen is not bad - I've done it. You put 1 quart in the oil, run for a bit, then dump the oil and change the filter. I'd put it in and run for several miles, then repeat. You have to order it, so it will take several days to arrive. Kano Labs sells it. But, you could go to O'Reilleys or such and get Marvin's Mystery Oil and do about the same thing.

Kreen is also good for a piston soak. 1 oz. only in each piston, replace the plugs, soak overnight, then crank it in the morning. It will have a hard time firing up as the Kreen is not very flammable, and you'll get white smoke as it burns out. Only do 1 oz. per cylinder, as you are not pushing the liquid out with the plugs out. Remember that liquids don't compress, so you do not want to fill that cylinder with Kreen then leave the plug in and try to crank it over. I'd order 3 quarts and put 1 each in the oil and gas tank (you need a full quart to about 10 gals of gas I think the can states), then run another quart through the oil again and drain/refill, since the engine is old and sat for so long. Then you may consider doing it one more time when you are about 100 miles from the OCI.

Last edited by DIYDad; 05-09-2015 at 01:03 AM.