General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension bushings, 1993 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Default Suspension bushings, 1993 Camry

Hi all.

I've got an old 1993 Camry. runs great, has a few issues. The engine will move around a bit when shifting from drive into reverse, or vice-versa, so I know I need to replace a couple motor mounts. The dogbone motor mount at the top near the timing chain cover (V6 engine) is shot, but is there another one that also tends to go bad?

And also, if I am stopped, shift into reverse, slowly back up, and then tap the gas, something in the front end feels like it's moving around a bit. I'm pretty sure I've got a bushing or bushings that are bad. I was under there today, and I think the left side lower control arm bushing is bad, (the big round one that is at one "end" of the control arm.

I am fixing something else on the car, and I didn't look at the other side yet, but maybe these are a typical problem with these cars?

Any other bushings tend to wear out, anything else I should be looking at?

thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Suspension bushings, 1993 Camry

The engine could be moving around.

The engine has a fluid filled front mount and a bushing type rear mount pressed into a housing. Both of these can go bad and along with the upper dog bone allow the engine to move around.

Try the Rockauto website for photos of these parts. The AutoZone websites vehicle repair section may have info on replacing the mounts.