General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tiny touch up paint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Default Tiny touch up paint question

I hope this forum still has real members. Looks like spammers have taken it over. Anyway I will give it a try.....I recently found a chip in my paint on above the windshield (so it is on metal) It is a little bigger then a bb. It has rust but no build up. I drove to Toyota for advice.
Their body shop told me to:
1. Rub alcohol on the rust.
2. Apply thin layers of touch up paint.
3. Apply layer of clear finger nail polish over the paint.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree? Thanks in advance, pixshooter

Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

The only issue is if rusted you might attempt to remove or a least neutralize the rust. There are chemicals sold at hardware stores that can transform the rust into to something neutral.

The issue is, rust if not checked can continue to spread under the paint.

If using chemicals suggest you protect any areas around the chip with tape as the material can stain paint. Apply just a dab only to the rusted area. Follow the directions on the container.

The alcohol is to remove dirt, grease and any wax.

The polish is a clear protective coat.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Toyota told me the alcohol was to clean off the thin layer of rust. I tried it today and most came off but it looks like there is still a little. I have some 20 year naval jelly (phosphoric acid) and was wondering if I should try that? It works like the chemicals sold at hardware stores that can transform the rust into to something neutral. What about using a primer? I saw it mentioned on one of the utube videos.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Phosphoric acid will neutralize the rust. Be careful as it can stain the paint.

Most people don't use a primer for spot touch up. Suppose a spot of primer would not hurt. If using a primer, use one compatible with the paint which is most likely lacquer.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Default spot

Since the chip is kind of an oval shape, should I use masking tape and make a small square around the chip? I think even with a tiny brush I am going to get some of the acid on the paint if I dab at it without tape, so I was wondering if it would be better to work with a square that was masked off? Is masking tape adequate or should I use duct tape? I don't know if the acid will leak through the tape. I will try to use very little.