General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble starting car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Default Trouble starting car

I have a '96 LE with only about 33K miles. Don't drive it much. Just to the market, doctors, etc.
Lately I have had trouble starting it. Happens about 1 out of 10-15 times. It won't stay started without babying it by keeping
slight pressure on the gas pedal. It's like it is not getting gas.
It happened today and I started thinking about where I'd been. I drove it a couple of days ago with the A/C on the entire time.
Car has been serviced appropriately for it's age and mileage.

Could A/C condensation affect starting somehow. I don't know much about cars. But this is really annoying when in a hurry
to get to an appointment and the car won't stay started.

I'm afraid to take the car so I normally take my alternate auto - Miata with top down always. On cold or wet days, I don't have time to fuss with getting the top up on the Miata........so I normally just sit in the Camry with foot slightly on gas til it won't stall when I remove foot from gas pedal.

However, my housemate is the one that really suffers from this malady. She can't drive a stick shift so the Miata is out of the question and she is afraid to take the Camry when it has this problem.

Check Engine Light never comes on ....... it just doesn't want to start right up like it does 9 times out of 10.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trouble starting car

Does this problem happen when engine is hot or cold or both?

The A/C being on would have little to do with this issue. However, to ease the strain on everything have the A/C turned off when starting the engine.

If both hot and cold starting problems the idle air control (IAC) could need cleaning or replacement. This valve controls bypass air around the throttle body to control engine idle.

Basically this involves removing the air intake hose to the throttle body and spraying a cleaner into the IAC air intake slot.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 04-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Trouble starting car

Thanks to all of you.
I will take it to NEW mechanic to check and/or replace idle control valve. Last mechanic did replace it but he
is kind of a loser I find out now.