General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 05:04 PM
Default Vibration problem

We have a 2014 Camry LE 4cyl auto trans (6 spd) w/111,000 miles that I think has a vibration at lower speeds 25 to 45 mph range. I first thought it was the plastic cover shrouds under the engine. I replaced all the plastic fasteners and added some more just for good measures but vibration is still there after it warms up, when cold no sounds/vibrations.We've stopped driving it for now.

I called on my best friends "GOOGLE" and YouTube and now I think the vibrations are from needing a trans fluid change or a complete fluid flush What do you all think should I have it done at Dealer or Mechanic shop or DIY/me?
thanks in advance, MJ

Edited, am I on the right track ? ? ?

Last edited by mjgord51; 03-15-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

The 2014 was one year subject to possible torque converter issues. Might research this.

Could also be a bad CV axle, tire, rim.

If the trans fluid has never been changed then its over due but this may not solve the issue. YouTube has videos on trans fluid exchange. This is moving the old fluid into a container as the new fluid is drawn into a trans pump.

Don't do a "flush" as in new fluid going in under external pressure or use chemicals.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The 2014 was one year subject to possible torque converter issues. Might research this.

Could also be a bad CV axle, tire, rim.

If the trans fluid has never been changed then its over due but this may not solve the issue. YouTube has videos on trans fluid exchange. This is moving the old fluid into a container as the new fluid is drawn into a trans pump.

Don't do a "flush" as in new fluid going in under external pressure or use chemicals.
Not sure I fully understand your last line.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

The term "flush" is vague but can cause individuals to become concerned.

Read the info at the links below.

https://blog.amsoil.com/transmission...ich-is-better/

https://motoringjunction.com/tips-tr...ion-fluid-bad/

https://www.joebowmanautoplaza.com/b...n-fluid-722120

Some shops will not change the trans fluid if it has too many miles on it, too old or too deteriorated because of the concern of trans failure afterward.

However, not changing the change fluid Will ultimately result in trans failure.

The safest way to change trans fluid is using the transmissions own oil pump to move the old fluid out of the trans with the new fluid pushing it out. The internet has information doing this.

https://www.google.com/search?client...id:Sah2_119IN4

There are machines that can do this faster but still let the trans pump move the fluid while gravity adds new fluid to the trans.

Its a gently process!

Chemicals can break lose debris and cause issues.

The idea is to change all the fluid as some 2/3 is in the torque converter and doesn't drain out via the trans pan drain plug.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:27 PM

The term "flush" is vague but can cause individuals to become concerned.

Read the info at the links below.

https://blog.amsoil.com/transmission...ich-is-better/

https://motoringjunction.com/tips-tr...ion-fluid-bad/

https://www.joebowmanautoplaza.com/b...n-fluid-722120

Some shops will not change the trans fluid if it has too many miles on it, too old or too deteriorated because of the concern of trans failure afterward.

However, not changing the change fluid Will ultimately result in trans failure.

The safest way to change trans fluid is using the transmissions own oil pump to move the old fluid out of the trans with the new fluid pushing it out. The internet has information doing this.

https://www.google.com/search?client...id:Sah2_119IN4

There are machines that can do this faster but still let the trans pump move the fluid while gravity adds new fluid to the trans.

Its a gently process!

Chemicals can break lose debris and cause issues.

The idea is to change all the fluid as some 2/3 is in the torque converter and doesn't drain out via the trans pan drain plug.
Thanks for all the extra missing info I needed. Should have gave more info about our car we bought it with the Pre Owned extended warranty deal, we're second owners. It was two years old with 11,000 miles on it so all other added miles we put on it. Only oil Changes and any fluid topping off has been done. NOW I'm nervous as h e ! ! with doing a machine pressure flush the info says more problems could come up so the NON pressure "Gravity " flush sounds better way to go but then again while reading and watching YouTubes if trans has never been serviced a Gravity complete fluid exchange could also do harm. So to be on the safe side maybe just replacing some of the Fluid what only drains out of bottom of trans would be the safest way to go.
Starting to dislike these newer type transmission or the words "Life Time Fluid" terminology is misleading to the NON informed. I know that was a mouth full but I come from a Family of Free Masons 17 relatives so excuse my long winded story, LOL

* * * UPDATE 3/24/2023, some of the above wording was re done for better understanding. * * *

Last edited by mjgord51; 03-24-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

A drain and refill may take 3 or more drain/refills to get most of the old fluid out.

An issue is if the trans doesn't have a dipstick the vehicle will need to be jacked up and serviced from below as in drain AND refill AND determining the fill is the correct amount.

Toyota and other vehicle makers steered away from dipsticks and towards "life time" fluid. Using synthetic oil meant longer change periods but not life time. All oil wears out, get contaminated, etc and sooner or later needs changing. All things equal, trans fluid life is based on how hot it gets. The hotter the shorter the life.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:45 PM

A drain and refill may take 3 or more drain/refills to get most of the old fluid out.

An issue is if the trans doesn't have a dipstick the vehicle will need to be jacked up and serviced from below as in drain AND refill AND determining the fill is the correct amount.

Toyota and other vehicle makers steered away from dipsticks and towards "life time" fluid. Using synthetic oil meant longer change periods but not life time. All oil wears out, get contaminated, etc and sooner or later needs changing. All things equal, trans fluid life is based on how hot it gets. The hotter the shorter the life.
Can you or anybody else confirm the method of the "drain and fill" and that "straw" that is the full level at the trans temp of 104* whats been seen on YouTube videos . Since I already have some vibrations at 30 to 50 mph speeds i am real nervous about listening and doing what someone on a YouTube video is saying is the method of changing trans fluid in my 2014 Camry with a trans 6 spd model # U760E.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

If no dipstick then the only way to fill the trans is a port on the side of the housing.

Not sure what the straw method is.

See private message.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:12 PM

If no dipstick then the only way to fill the trans is a port on the side of the housing.

Not sure what the straw method is.

See private message.
The straw is used when the Dealer or Auto Mechanics or DIY'ers Check the trans fluid proper fill level for these 2014 models U760E at a given trans fluid temperature reading (104*-113*) what I've been told and read.

Last edited by mjgord51; 03-24-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the drawing, got it!

See private messages.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem