General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
A drain and refill may take 3 or more drain/refills to get most of the old fluid out.

An issue is if the trans doesn't have a dipstick the vehicle will need to be jacked up and serviced from below as in drain AND refill AND determining the fill is the correct amount.

Toyota and other vehicle makers steered away from dipsticks and towards "life time" fluid. Using synthetic oil meant longer change periods but not life time. All oil wears out, get contaminated, etc and sooner or later needs changing. All things equal, trans fluid life is based on how hot it gets. The hotter the shorter the life.
I think that when the trans is COLD (sitting all night) and then jacking up the car then draining what comes out when the "straw" is out then measuring the old fluid that should be pretty close for replacing what came out for the fluid level too be correct when adding new fluid back this would assure me that "what came out and what goes back would be correct.

I do have a new filter and gasket but I'll wait for a couple drain n fills to put the new filter in and use my "IR temp tool" for the proper fluid temp using the "straw method, what do you think or anybody else reading this? Good idea or bad idea?

Last edited by mjgord51; 04-10-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Appears to be a reasonable plan. Put the containers of new oil near the car to obtain the same temp as in the trans pan. I use the what comes out goes back in method for coolant system refills.

I am planning to do this on another make of car which has even more complicated procedures for checking trans level making the job a PIA unless having a lift. Might use weight instead of volume and need to make a few tools for the job.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:35 AM

Appears to be a reasonable plan. Put the containers of new oil near the car to obtain the same temp as in the trans pan. I use the what comes out goes back in method for coolant system refills.

I am planning to do this on another make of car which has even more complicated procedures for checking trans level making the job a PIA unless having a lift. Might use weight instead of volume and need to make a few tools for the job.
Outside temps in the morning around the 40* mark (yucca valley,ca) and the new fluid is in Garage (non heated garage) so pretty close to outside temps anyway but too be "****" about this I could use my IR temp gun to check old fluid and new fluid to Compare each to one another.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:25 PM
Cool

Well just might have dodged the bullet for the vibration symptoms I had. I jacked the car up to be level for the drain & re fill deal and so far it seams as its working (fluid was kinda dark coming out), No Vibration after the 1st drain & re-fill. Still I am going to do 3 more drain & re fills then at the 3rd drain & re fill I'll change out the Filter & Gasket & at the last drain & re-fill I'll do a filter change again and hopefully be done with it :>

EDITED, to re do some wording for better understanding talking points, LOL

Last edited by mjgord51; 04-08-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Old 03-30-2023, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mjgord51
Well just might have dodged the bullet for the vibration symptoms I had. I jacked the car up to be level for the drain & re fill deal and so far it seams as its working (fluid kinda dark), No Vibration. Still I am going to do 2 to 3 more drain & re fills then at the last drain & re fill I'll change out the Filter & Gasket & hopefully be done with it :>
I only did a 3 mile test drive after the re fill so not a real long ride to get the trans Temps up so this weekend we'll take a much longer ride maybe 30 to 50 miles too see if that has a different effect at constant higher trans pressures and temps. We also live up at the 3500+ ft level or above sea level so going down and then coming back up will put a little strain on the trans testing it further. If all goes well that's good but will still need to do at least 3 to 4 more re fills, a new filter at the 3rd & 6th drain & re-fill will I think be better. I will add more when necessary.

EDITED, more wording changes,LOL

Last edited by mjgord51; 04-08-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:08 PM

So far so good as I'm on the 2nd drain & re-fill process. After them two short driving test trips we did a 150+ mile run with no problems (knock on wood). As stated above I re worded by editing a couple of my last Post ( this is what I get for Not proof reading things).
I did change my Agenda too incorporate a filter change at every 3rd re-fill just for good measures so after the last 6th re-fill being now Two filter changes it should be a much "red'er color fluid if not I'll keep it up.

My drain & re-fill's use 1 gallon of new fluid for every two re-fill changes so 3 gallons will do 6 fluid re-fill changes My choice of Fluid is from O'Reilly Auto Parts its there own brand "Global" multi - vehicle automatic trans fluid . Toyota WS fluid, pictures below shows it.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back.

WS = synthetic oil.

Note sure what the tolerance is on fluid level with these so called sealed trans.

Might note any debris on the filter and in the pan and if none consider skipping the next pan drop and filter change. Never found a screen debris issue on a healthy trans and once the pan is clean I call it good for the next change and just change the fluid.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:39 PM
Smile

Thanks for posting back.

WS = synthetic oil.

Note sure what the tolerance is on fluid level with these so called sealed trans.

Might note any debris on the filter and in the pan and if none consider skipping the next pan drop and filter change. Never found a screen debris issue on a healthy trans and once the pan is clean I call it good for the next change and just change the fluid.
On the 2nd re-fill the old fluid coming out was just as dirty and dark as the 1st re-fill done so this is why I thought a second filter change would even more clean the fluid up just for added insurance..
I think most to all fluid is Synthetic now days. The WS means World Standard not synthetic oil, but if you want to call it synthetic oil that's fine with me LOL

Last edited by mjgord51; 04-10-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Synthetic is the only way Toyota can state the fluid is lifetime which is of course is not. When WS came out it caused a LOT of issues for those trying to get away from buying $$ WS fluid at the dealer which was at that time the only source.

Whatever happens as to vibration, changing the fluid will go a long way towards extending trans life.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem