General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What to look for in buying a used/salvage yard transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Default What to look for in buying a used/salvage yard transmission?

I am pretty sure that my transmission in my 1995 Camry LE 2.2 needs to be replaced. A mechanic came by my house and used a camera to look into where the axle meets the transmission and told me that my transmission was shot (the CV axle is stuck in the transmission). My current transmission cannot be rebuilt as some the metal inside the trans is melted.I found a local junk yard that has a transmission that is still on a vehicle. Basically they will pull it out of the car for you. My questions are:

1. What do I look for/inspect in a car that is in a yard? I know to look for water in the tranny, bad trans fluid, or cracks in the tranny but is there anything else that would be a red flag?

2. What transmission parts should I remove from the vehicle in the event that I have found a decent transmission?

3. What is a good price that might ensure that it is working?

Thanks for any advice, P

Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Besides what you have stated there is not much you can tell without removing the pan. If the trans is still in the car you can check mileage and compare to fluid condition. Typically if the fluid was never changed during the life of the trans issues start around 120K.

Check the cars overall condition to speculate why it ended up in the junk yard. Trans failure is common if the fluid was never changed. Perhaps better to pull a trans from a car that has been totaled in an accident or has a blown engine.

What are the years of the cars having the donor trans?

Even though Camry used the same model trans for years, A140E, the unit had modifications. The 95 trans had one speed sensor on the trans, trans a few years older had two sensors.

Not up to speed on prices, might ask at the Toyotanation website.

What part melted? There is a removable panel on the firewall side of the housing where the axles plug in. Once the trans is out the panel can be removed to look inside this area.

Might also check Craigslist for cars that have been totaled and are being parted out.

If getting the trans, get the torque converter and flex plate.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If getting the trans, get the torque converter and flex plate.
Thanks for the advice.

The panel is being blocked by the axle if that is what you are referring to. I took the mechanics word that it was melted. He said to take the axle out of the transmission he would have to use a heatgun??? I would rather just get another trans if it would be cheaper.

I have found some transmissions in the price range of 150-400 used. I would rather buy at the higher end if that meant I was getting a quality transmission.

Also where are the torque converter and flex plate located and what do they look like?

Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

There is a rectangle cover with fins facing the firewall side of car. This plate is not blocked by the axle like the round one on the side. Once the trans is out of the car remove the plate and look inside for damage.

The torque converter is inside what looks like a bell shaped housing portion of the trans case. This section is what bolts up to the engine bolt.

The converter bolts to the flex plate. The flex plate bolts to the engine crankshaft. The other end of the torque converter has a splined tube that engages a shaft on the trans input shaft.

If you are removing the trans best pick up a Haynes service manual of other to show how to unbolt the trans and reinstall it.