General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in a used Camry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Default What to look for in a used Camry?

My daughter turned 16 and I would like to get her a Camry in the $3000 range. In Colorado, that means the 95-02 range with high mileage. I am handy with tools, but really don't want to get into a big project, especially in the winter. What should I look for when looking at one of these cars? It is my understanding that the I4 engines at least are non-interference engines, so is timing belt replacement as critical as it is in Hondas? She will need an automatic transmission so is there anything I need to know there? Any advice you have would be Greatly appreciated!

Rich

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota used the same I4 engine model (5SFE) until 2001. The engine is non-interference, if the belt breaks no damage will occur. Belts do break typically over 100K miles. Toyota has no recommended belt change time, only stating to inspect the belt.

Recommended belt change intervals as stated by belt manufacturers are 60K for 95-98 and 90K for 99-01. Suspect improvements in belt design result in this increase. Improved replacement belts fit all years.

The balance shafts on the 5SFE are gear driven, unlike Honda which used an additional cogged belt besides the timing belt.

Toyota updated the 5SFE engine each year in areas of ign and fuel systems, cylinder head design, emissions systems, etc. As such although the same engine model, it is not the same engine design. The make engine swaps more difficult.

The 2002 Camry used a completely different I4 engine and trans model. The engine has a timing chain. You might stay away from this engine as had issues with excess oil consumption and blown head gaskets both due to design flaws.

The 95-01 models were very good cars. The 95-96 are in the same generation, ditto for the 97-01. Toyota made improvements with in generations and cosmetic changes but no chassis changes.

If you send a private message with email address will send a list of items to check when inspecting the car. As with any car as the miles add up, repairs are required and these areas are well known on Camry.