General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where are the 3rd set of spark plugs located?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Default Where are the 3rd set of spark plugs located?

Hello, I am a proud new owner of a 2001 Toyota Camry XLE V6, As i continue to maintain and give it the "New car clean up method" I just finshed the Oil and Tranny And now i want to work on the spark plugs, I know the First 3 set of spark plugs are on top of the engine beneath the Black cover, But where is the next 3rd set? In the rear?? I looked back there and it doesnt seem to have much hand space..

Old 03-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Look at the cover to the left of the oil fill cap. There are 3 wires, each wire runs to a ign coil. Each coil has a long socket the runs down inside the spark plug tube to the spark plug.

You need to remove the coil, pull out the coil and attached socket to access the plug.

The setup under the cover is the same.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM

I understand the coils have to remove and use a socket with the rubber inside to remove the spark plugs, But where is the 3rd set of spark plugs located? Under the cover, In the rear of the engine?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, hidden under the cover.

There are a pain to remove due to access problems. Suggest a Google search on changing the plugs on a 1MZ-FE. There should be hits on exactly what you need to do.

If this fails seach the website Toyotanation for past posts on what needs to be done and tools to use.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Retromoe
I understand the coils have to remove and use a socket with the rubber inside to remove the spark plugs, But where is the 3rd set of spark plugs located? Under the cover, In the rear of the engine?
There is no "3rd set". The 1st 3 are in front of the engine under the ignition coils to the left of the oil fill cap. The rear 3 are under the intake plenum (follow the ignition wires from the coil to the back of the engine compartment). You can access them from the passenger side- by removing the PCV hose. From there, you can remove the wires and plugs from that side. If you're having difficulty removing the rear plug closest to the drivers side-you can actually access that by reach behind the throttle body. A flex spark plug socket will help alot. There is NOTHING under that black cover related to the ignition components you are trying to replace.

JJ