New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

07 Camery

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Unhappy 07 Camery

Hello<

I am an owner of a 07 Camery LE, recently I have been having a problem with oil consuption with my car also. I went to the dealer, as always, to change my oil, about 2 weeks later my oil light flashed, i checked it and it was down 2 qts. i bought my car brand new 3 yrs, ago and never had a problem. Just recently my car has been consuming a 1/2 of qt. every 2 wks. and it is not leaking it! The dealer says that they will monitor it every 500 miles, but what are they really going to do to help me? My car has 83,900 miles on it. I really wanted to trade my car in and get a Toyota Venza 2010, but i don't know anymore! Is it worth buying a Toyota again if they do not help me! This a a new car still, this should not be happening!

Please give me some advice, I really don't know what to do.

Carol

Last edited by medinaca; 03-21-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Read the link below:

https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/07-camry-oil-consumption-3696/

This assumes the oil was changed at intervals recommended in the owners manual.

Monitoring the oil consumption is standard procedure for this complaint. If the oil consumption is under 1 quart per 1000 miles, the dealer will most likely state it is within normal parameters. As the car is out of warranty would not expect any help from the dealer or Toyota.

I don't know what the problem is, some suggest sticky oil control rings on the pistons (again assuming the oil was changed at the recommended intervals). This would be some kind of design problem on Toyota's part.

Toyota has had quality issues. These issues started years ago, long before the current throttle acceleration issue caught the public attention. The throttle issue may or may not be valid problem, the jury is still out on this.

I would be reluctant to purchase or recommend a new Toyota, and if I did would get an extended Toyota warranty. These can be purchased at any dealer (even over the phone) as some dealers charge much less then others. If interested in who has the cheapest extended warranty ask at the Toyotanation website.

Still selling a car with excessive oil consumption can result in a lower resell value. If is is the rings the repair costs will be very high.

The dealer might offer a better deal overall then a private sel. Especially if you purchased this car from them and had all the service work done there and are now buying a new one. But check out both methods of selling the current car and compare. Dealers are in business to make money and may or may not give you the best deal.

Last edited by toyomoho; 03-21-2010 at 09:43 PM.