New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1995 camry wagon vibration when car is at a stop/ not during braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Default 1995 camry wagon vibration when car is at a stop/ not during braking

Hello, I'm new to this forum but need some advice. My 1995 camry 2.2 wagon vibrates mildly when brake is held for any period of time. I've checked brakes/pads/rotors and calipers. All that stuff seems fine. Additionally, visually inspected motor mounts as well. They all appear fine with no engine movement. On a side note I've had a cold start problem since I bought this vehicle about a year ago. Car runs great but on initial start of day i have to apply has for about thirty seconds. Tried cleaning throttle body/ cable as well as cleaning maf sensor and idle air control valve, changed air filter as well. I have up on that problem because nothing worked. Just mentioning it in case it's related.Thank you.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Check front suspension for excess play.

Make sure the car steers straight when braking. Brake car from a speed of 50-60 MPH on a safe street road with minimal hand input on steering wheel. Determine the car goes straight or pulls to one side.

The front brakes can still have issues causing vibration when applied. A rotor can build up uneven debris of friction material or have variation in thickness. This leads to vibration when braking.

When you cleaned the throttle, did you clean the IAC valve?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:22 AM

I did clean the idle air control valve using the same throttle body cleaner. Additionally tried cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor with MAF cleaner as well then reattached it. Due to excessive bolt rust I had to zip ties maf into place. I have no check engine light on. The only other slight vibration i can feel on advanced acceleration is something akin to the feeling of a bald front tire. I rechecked the drivers side front rotor, brake, and tire but it all appears good. The rotor is somewhat rusty but otherwise good thickness, doesn't look unevenly worn or anything. The vibration is rather low in intensity but still concerning since I feel it in the steering wheel. I looked underneath the car as well. The c v boot is fine, and it definitely doesn't feel like a wheel bearing. I'm completely puzzled!

Old 12-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Vibration only occurs during prolonged braking such as going downhill?

What happens during hard braking?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 AM

It was primarily the front tires. The inner threading was severely worn but the outer was fine. I'm thinking it's time for an alignment.After changing both tired the problem diminished extensively. Sometimes the most obvious answer ends up being the answer!!! The little bit of vibration that's left is either from my dog bone motor mount, which appeared fine but on closer inspection, the rubber gasket is beginning to degrade ( ordered one on Amazon for $15 only two bolts) or just the nature of a four cylinder engine. Curiously the cold start problem still remains but a little gas goes along way toward resolving that one!!

Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Check the ETC sensor. This tells the engine computer what the temperature of the coolant is.