New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2001 Camry drivers door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 06:35 PM
Question 2001 Camry drivers door will not open

Hello,
I have a 2001 Toyota Camry four-door. The problem I am having is the drivers door will not open. The outside and inside door handles are broken but I have new ones to be installed as soon as I can get the door physically open. As you probably know in order to take the door panel off you would need the door open to accomplish that. I have managed to remove the screws from the door panel and have it open at the very top of the door at the bottom part of the window opening. This allows me to reach down inside and grab the metal rod that goes from the doorhandles to the door latch assembly. However when I pull on the Rod for the latch to open I can feel the spring giving resistance in the latch assembly but it is not turning the latch to release the striker and allowing the door to open. Also you probably know that in order to replace the latch assembly if that is the problem that requires having the door open to remove the 3 Torx screws to replace the latch assembly. So I’m at a point where I do not know how to proceed I can’t get the door open to work on it or remove the door latch assembly therefore the door simply will not open no matter what I try. Please help and thank you in advance!

Old 08-28-2021, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

You stating that in addition to two broken handles the door will not open even if you manipulative the broken handles?. And the rods are still connected to the handle?

If so your going to have to cut up the door panel to get it out.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:14 PM

Do you have any idea where I may find a diagram or schematic of the latch assembly? This may give me a clue where to drill or cut a hole without ruining the entire door panel