New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2012 Camry SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 01:08 PM
Default 2012 Camry SE

I have a 2012 Camry SE that had the Torque converter replacement <20k miles ago [but 2 years ago [img]https://www.camryforums.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif ]. I believe the issue is starting to pop up again. My question is I'm also having an idle issue where the engine sporadically rumbles when in park/drive/reverse and sitting still. I cleaned the TB/MAF yesterday and it helped briefly but the idle issue is already coming back. Could a TB failure (or something in that area) also cause a shutter traveling down the road (similar to the Torque converter)?

FYI no codes
140k miles
Does not stall.....yet

TIA!

Old 06-23-2022, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

What is rumbles? Does the RPM drop, vary, etc? You state the idle drops.

Low idle will cause shaking at idle. Are you stating there is also rumble when driving?

Disconnecting the battery should cause the idle to need to relearned by the computer.

Could be a bad throttle position sensor. Read up on resetting the throttle position sensor.

When it rumbles watch the engine for shaking on the off chance its the engine mounts.

Was the software updated with the converter change? Software appears a major issue.

Have you tried changing the trans fluid?

Was the replacement converter new or rebuilt?

If you have an ODBII scanner with real time output. Get some baseline data when then the car is idling normally then compare to when it rumbles. The idea is to check if the data does vary as in its an engine problem not a trans problem.

If not already done so, read the various threads at Toyotanation.com on this issue. A surprise was some members being a real fan of something called "shutterguard" which is a trans fluid additive to decrease shutter. I am pretty much never a fan of these types of additives but who knows. The link below list several threads at the site. Take note of the car owners symptoms and speed range the shuttle occurs at.

https://www.google.com/search?client...verter+shutter

Old 06-23-2022, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just to give an update. It finally started to throw some codes after disconnecting the battery. Both my check engine light and slip indicator came on later that evening. I have a cylinder 4 misfire. Going to change swap the coil packs around and troubleshoot. The shutter has gotten a little worse and is now happening at lower speeds so I'm hoping its the misfire and not the torque converter issue again.

Just to answer your question; I looked at the mounts and think they are okay. The software update was done before Toyota replaced with the new converter. I will try a trans fluid/shutter guard swap if this issue remains.

I will follow back up once i resolve the current code.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

If the check light is on, the slip indicator may come as by default of the computer software programming. Unless a slip issue, correct the codes and the slip light should go off.