New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

92 Camry water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Default 92 Camry water pump

I have a 92 camry 2.2 liter, purchased a year ago with only 77k on it. car now has 85k and has run perfectly. Was used around town exclusively until about 2 weeks ago it did its first road trip in my possession, about 800 miles round trip. after this trip, i now have a small deposit of coolant on the garage floor after it has been run.

the leak appears on the floor near the right front tire (pretty much in the vicinity of the right front axle) car still runs perfectly in all regards except for this new symptom. I am guessing the water pump might be telling me "it is time!"

I am aware these pumps do have a life span far less then the whole engine....do you guys concur this is probably a sign of a new water pump? about how much does the whole job cost (parts and labor) by a decent private mechanic (preferrably not a toyota dealer unless someone surprises me and says a dealer can do it cheap)

Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

The water pump should last more then 85K miles. They seldom fail but many owners change them at the second timing belt change.

The water pump is located under the timing belt cover located on the passengers side of the engine and on the side of engine nearest the radiator.

Remove the passengers tire and look at the area under the timing belt cover for signs of coolant.

Take note the AC system has a drain hose under the car, make sure the fluid is coolant not water. With age the radiator can also start leaking.

There could also be a hose leak, etc best not to assume until you see coolant coming out from under the cover.

Replacing the pump requires removing the same parts as changing the timing belt. Suggest you change the belt and anything else needed. Have the mechanic check the oil seals for the cam, crank and oil pump for leakage.

Also have them check the accessory drive belts such as power steering, alt, AC as age may have caused them to crack. They need to come off to replace the pump.

A dealer might charge $750 for the job including a belt. A timing belt change on this engine is common, an independent should should be able to quote a price for both belt and water pump.

The issue is much of the cost for a water pump change is labor, once the car is apart best change what is needed now as you already paid for most of the labor with the water pump change.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 PM

Peter J, where are you located or have you already had the work done? We are Toyota techs that work on cars after hours. I'm in Irving.