New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Camry 2013-radiator & maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:36 PM
Default Camry 2013-radiator & maintenance

Hi there,
I got 2013-Camry LE -4 cyl - 170,000 mls....80% Fwy driving. I live in SoCal, sunny/warm/hot all the time.
What I have done - rotors, flush transmission, spark plugs - all at around 120,000 mls. Runs really good for 4 cyl, no leaks, nothing major (knock on wood).

Question 1 - in terms of preventive/proactive maintenance, what would you recommend I should do, in order of importance...? I'm not sure where to begin.
- radiator flush, brake system flush, injection cleaning, a/c clean, change serpentine belt....?

Question 2 - when idle - the engine "trips" (about to stall) for about 1 sec - then picks up the RPM right away and all OK. It does it rarely may be once/month (if that) - only when idle. Ideas ....?

Question 3 - radiator.
- my supposedly-trusted mechanic, pointed to me the top of the radiator - a black strip (buildup) inside the radiator - and said it was ready to "blow up" ! Supposedly from some chemicals in the pink coolant that eat up the radiator's top. See pictures. So....any validity, or he wants to get a $500 for a new radiator job...?

Thanks !

Old 12-09-2020, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles do you drive each year and what type of driving?

Question 1 – If the coolant ever needs changing have the coolant system “flushed” with a garden hose. Don’t use chemicals as these can cause issues. Injection cleanings are normally never required. When was the serpentine belt last changed? Typically the only service the A/C system needs to keep the condenser located in from of the radiator clean of debris (seldom a problem). Most car owners never service the brake system beyond pads/shoes. If you ever get the brake changed have the old fluid pumped out and replaced with new.

Question 2 – Can clean the throttle body in hopes of solving this problem. But unless it gets worse why bother.

Question 3 – The upper/lower sections of the radiator are plastic. With usage and age the upper tank can start to have hairline cracks that can suddenly develop into a BIG coolant leak without warning.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:47 AM
Default 2012 Toyota Camry LE Transmission (U760E) Shudder

2013 has the same transmission as my 2012 I am about to rebuild with 96K miles. Better search the forums for Transmission Shudder on this vehicle and get ahead of this issue. The car is probably already experiencing it and you just are not aware as it can be a very slight shudder that if you are not a mechanic you will probably not realize it has the issue. Check my other post to find more information.