New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

EGR and EVAP Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Cool EGR and EVAP Issues

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I own a '98 camry LE 2.2. I LOVE THIS CAR!!! I've had for over 10 years and it has helped my family get to where we need to go. she is barely hitting 250k and is up for re-registering. Lo and behold I have the dreaded check engine light concerning my EVAP and EGR system...

P0441-system incorrect purge flow detected
P0401- EGR system insufficient Flow Detected
P0446- EVAP vent control solenoid circuit malfunction

OH JOY!!!!. Every mechanic I have gone to has suggested a new Charcoal box, vacuum switch valve(s) (I think there are 2) and a new vacuum modulator. Been quoted over 1000$ in which I politely declined since parts to them was 700$+. I found their invoiced parts and found everything under 300$ dorman parts mostly.

Anyways long story short, I'm looking for any kind of pointers I can get. been going through youtube and have a good idea where to start. I'll be updating my adventure and see if I can get this thing past emissions (AZ). wish me luck!

Old 03-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Can you do repairs yourself?

If you have the service info these codes are reasonably straight forward to diagnosis.

If you search on the code and model of car. As you found the internet has posts and even video's.

Pickup a Haynes service manual (under $20).

For parts try online. Dorman is one manufacturer. A shop will use their own sources and mark up the price.

These are very common codes.

For P0401 see link below and conduct the tests.

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/dtc+p0401.pdf

P0401 could be the modulator or vacuum switch (VSV). Typically the EGR exhaust ports plug up with carbon.

P0401 and P0446 have the same possible problem areas.

The links below provide info:

http://www.teacher.starenvirotech.co...41%20P0446.pdf

http://testroete.com/car/Toyota/celi...nostics/27.pdf

Also read through the related topic threads below the quick reply box.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Can you do repairs yourself?

If you have the service info these codes are reasonably straight forward to diagnosis.

If you search on the code and model of car. As you found the internet has posts and even video's.

Pickup a Haynes service manual (under $20).

For parts try online. Dorman is one manufacturer. A shop will use their own sources and mark up the price.

These are very common codes.

For P0401 see link below and conduct the tests.

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/dtc+p0401.pdf

P0401 could be the modulator or vacuum switch (VSV). Typically the EGR exhaust ports plug up with carbon.

P0401 and P0446 have the same possible problem areas.

The links below provide info:

http://www.teacher.starenvirotech.com/Toyota/TSB's/TSB%20VSV%20P0440%20P0441%20P0446.pdf

http://testroete.com/car/Toyota/celi...nostics/27.pdf

Also read through the related topic threads below the quick reply box.
All of my parts are Dorman and was able to get them through Amazon. They have been on the ball with my parts and have been considerably a decent price with what I compare to like autozone or oreilly's.

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty much self-taught. Youtube has a been a good source. I appreciate the links this is awesome. So far I went ahead and replaced the Charcoal box, it had all the pumps and switch valves on it already. I also replaced my EGR Valve, Modulator and a VSV near my air intake hose. That got rid of my P0446 and p0441 codes

The last thing I was looking into for replacement I saw on the diagram was with the VSV Solenoid part. This thing is really hard to get to!!!! As luck may have it. As I was feeling for both hoses on the solenoid, the hose going to the Egr Valve was disconnected. I reattached and cleared my codes and have so far driven it about 60 miles and no light yet.

I'm going to drive to work which is an additional 23 miles and if all is good, will finally get my emissions done. Thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Bcampbell; 04-05-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 PM
Default Passed!

That last hose from the Solenoid to the EGR valve was it. I was able to drive to work and go to the emissions testing location and passed. awesome feeling after working at this thing. this forum has been awesome!

Old 04-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Great job! Thanks for posting back with your results.