New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

First time with a 95

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Default First time with a 95

Hello everyone! About a year and a half ago I bought a 95 Camry when it really seemed that gas prices were going to skyrocket. Now, if only predicting stocks were that easy.
So, by no means am I a "car guy", I'm just a 31 year old teacher that needed cheap, reliable transportation.
I'm new at message boards, so I'm going to just post this here. My wife works at a Vo-Tech school, so they're nice enough to do simple maint. for labor. Recently, we discovered that it had started to leak oil pretty badly. The Vo-Tech teacer diagnosed it as leaking from the intake manifold and the head gasket. Not being a car person, I do know that the head gasket is a big deal. He told us he wasn't comfortable doing the repairs, and that I shouldn't worry about it. However, I don't think he realizes our financial outlook, and the fact that we want to run it as long as it will go. He just assumes we can, and want to, go buy a new car.
So, what do you think? By the way, it has 100,000 original miles on it. Should I get it fixed, how much should I anticipate spending? Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: First time with a 95

What engine does the car have I4 or V6?

Are you sure the teacher stated the head gasket and not the valve cover gasket?

If leaking that bad take a flashlight and scan the engine for oil leaks, engine on and off. Use a mirror to look behind then engine.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. It's an I4, and he def. said head gasket.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

First determine if the problem really is a head gasket. Typcially this problem causes other issues besides leaking oil. There are a few tests that can be done on the engine such as exhaust gases in the coolant test, coolant system pressure test, cylinder compression and leak down test.

How much oil is the engine leaking? How does the engine run, OK, rough idle, no power, etc?

Any water in the engine oil (the oil would have milkshake appearance), water vapor out the exhaust pipe, coolant system loosing water?

What was the reason the Vo-Tec person stated not to worry about the cylinder head gasket?

100K is not that much on these engines, typically can go 200K or more provided decent up keep.

Suggest you attempt to run down the leak yourself, follow the trail of oil.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 AM

Thanks again. In response to your questions:

The engine runs very well. It hasn't lost any power, no colored exhaust, etc.

I'm getting about a two inch diameter oil spot every morning from an area close to the front passenger side tire.

I think the teacher just didn't want to be bothered with it, since it's the end of the school year, and his seniors that do the majority of the work are already finished.

There also doesn't seem to be any water in the oil, it seems to very clean after 2k on the current oil.

I know I sound a little **** in all this, it's just that money is tight and this car has to last a while

Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

If the engine runs OK and does not have any of the signs that were posted, then question if it is a head gasket.

The engine is known for leaks, run down the area of the leak. You can get a ball park location by determining what is above the oil stain on the floor.

On the passengers side of the engine facing the fender is the oil pump, camshaft and crankshaft seals all are under the timing belt covers. All can leak, is the oil dripping out from under the timing belt cover?

The valve cover gasket often leaks, check the area of the gasket between the cover and cylinder head for leakage. If leaking here, this is an easy fix you can do yourself. I am guessing this is your problem.

Check the other side of the engine, the drivers side. Oil can leak out where the distributor housing is.

On the engine side facing the radiator, oil can leak out from under the oil filter area or where the oil pressure sender is.

Make sure the oil really is motor oil and not transmission or power steering fluid. If an automatic trans the PS and trans fluid are the same and would look and smell differant then motor oil.

If money is tight your library may have a Haynes or Chilton book for check out or photo copy.

Check for leaks with engine on and off. Use a flashlight or shop light. If leaking this amount you should be able to see where it is coming from. If in back of the engine use a mirror to check the valve and head gasket area.

You can also try to torque down the valve cover gasket. The plug wire connectors pop out from above the engine. There is a little **** you should see on the top of each rubber connector.

Each one looks like a square section of rubber with the little **** on top. There are four total.

Pull up to release the connector from the plug, then pull the connector out of the spark plug tube all the way out. Do this with the other three. You will then see 1 large nut on each spark plug tube for a total of four.

The nuts screw onto the threaded portion of the spark plug tube and force the valve cover down on the gasket.

Get a large wrench and turn these nuts CW to tighten them. This will snug down the valve cover and if the gasket is leaking help reduce the leak. However if it is the valve cover the best method is change the gasket. If short on cash you can also clean the gasket area and engine and apply a sealant.

But first you need to run down the area of the leak.