New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

First-time Toyota buyer with silly question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Default First-time Toyota buyer with silly question...

I'm buying a car for the first time. Really excited about that. No question my first car's gonna be a Toyota. Only thing is I don't know much about cars, so I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this...

What are the main differences between a Camry and a Corolla?? They both have great gas mileage and they both look sweet! I'm torn!!

I wanted to get as much info as I can before walking aimlessly into the dealership. So yer feedback would be much appreciated.

Also, can anyone from San Joaquin Valley let me nkow if Valley Toyota's a good delaership to go to? All I nkow is what i got from their website: http://www.valley-toyota.com/index.html

It's the closest dealership to my house so I just wanted to know if anyones' had any first-hand experience with them before I go ahead and buy my car.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: First-time Toyota buyer with silly question...

The Corolla is a compact car. It is available with two 4-cylinder options and would get higher MPG then Camry.

The latest version is also known as the E150 series (10th generation of this car).

See link below for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_E140

The Camry is a mid-size car. It is available with two 4-cylinder options and a V6. Also known as the 7th generation of Camry. The Avalon and perhaps one of the Lexus models are an upscaled version of the Camry.

There is also a Hybrid version of the Camry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camry#S...0.93present.29

The differance in cars is kind of like comparing a Honda Accord to a Civic.

Strongly suggest you just look at the cars first, take a test drive of both cars, etc BEFORE you buy anything. Typically dealers attempt to steer you into whatever makes them the most profit.

I suggest when you determine what model you want to prepare by getting actual price info from sites like Consumers Reports where for a small fee you can get the dealers cost of the car. This will help you negotiate final price.

You might also do a Google search on tips for buying new cars from dealers and perhaps even read a few books.

For real life opinions on Camry and Corrola suggest reviewing posts at sites like Toyotanation where owners come for repair help and offer complaints about cars and dealer customer service.

Again, the dealer is there to make a profit. Often buyers come away spending more money on the price of the car, options, service contracts, etc then they wanted to.

Visit first and leave the check book behind. Determine what model you want to buy including options, etc before you engage in the buying process.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM

I don't know much about that dealership in particular, but back when I used to live in Sacramento I would go to ttp://www.maitatoyota.com/for all of my purchases. I can't recommend them enough. They were always helpful and I never had any problems with any car I got from them. I know its alittlefar for yourself, but I always felt a trustworthy dealer is worththe drive.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM

hmm i duno, are you taking a poll? hehe
descrive yourself, what's ur personality, what you do, how far you drive, without getting into too much specifics lol - you never know who's lurking the web nowdays >.>
personally i'll never see myself driving around in one of the old camrys, before the hot-new makeover! so consider yourself lucky! I used to think camrys are for old ppl... mainly because most of the people who drove one were old, or drove like old people, or they simply chose old people colors like bronze/gold O_o.

haha but not anymore! i vote for camry! it's pretty! i hope that helps

Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM

I have a Corolla and it's everything that I need, it's a pretty basic car and I drive alone mostly so I'm fine with the size. I actually like the compact size because I feel like I have more control over the car. But yeah, gas mileage is great, usually 25-30mpg depending on how much city driving I do. Engine runs well and it has over 90,000 miles on it and it's still going strong.

I'd be interested in upgrading to a Camry really only if I have the need for more space, like if I start a family.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Default First-time Toyota buyer with silly question... UPDATE

Thanks for all yoru feedback guys!! I ended up getting a silver '08 corolla LE... Ended up going to valley toyota and got a pretty decent deal on it too! Anyone living in the San Joaquin area should definitely consider this place. Anyway it rides great, awesome gas mileage, reeeeeeaally comfortable, and pretty decent sound system. Named it Stacy (after Stacy Kiebler)

Thanks again guys!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Default RE: First-time Toyota buyer with silly question... UPDATE

Congrats on the new Corolla.