New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Ground connections

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Unhappy Ground connections

Hi everyone, few months ago I had to change my camry engine, everything was ok until I had to change my battery after 6 months of using it.... To be quick and clear, my car has a little short circuit that is draining my battery, I checked all my fuses and it seems everything is ok, I would like to know if someone have photos or pictures of the ground connections just to compare and see if some of mines are in the wrong place, I have a small suspicion in a ground connection from the engine to the body of the car, I guess it has to be from the engine to the chassis.
I hope someone can help me, thanks.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Typically a ground wire is not going to cause a drain. Does the car have an aftermarket stereo, alarm, remote door lock, etc?

Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Yes, a stereo, but even if I disconnect the stereo the drain is still there, I know because I used a current tester, I've been searching a lot on the internet and there is a lot of people with this problem, the advices are to check the fuses (ECU, Radio, and Dome) and I already did it, that's why I think something is wrong with a current wire or ground (but now I know that is not the ground connection as you said)

Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

A few places to start.

Start removing fuses until the drain stops. Start with the AM1 and AM2 fuse as these two power many circuits.

Disconnect power to the alt. Disconnect the large single black wire from alt (that goes to battery). Remove ALT-S, GAUGE1, IG2 to isolate the alt.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:04 PM

If remove the fuse D.C.C the drain stopped, I read that this fuse feed ECU, Radio, and Dome but if I leave the D.C.C and remove the other fuses the drain is still there.
Let me remove power to the alt as you say and see what happens. I'll do it tomorrow it's quite late now and I will let you know.
Thanks Toyomoho for your answers.