New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

High kilometer concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:44 AM
Red face High kilometer concern

Family member is considering a 2004 Camry Ateva. It has 315000 on the clock, been regularly serviced, hasn't needed anything major doing to it in the past few years (I use the same mechanic so, asked the questions). Buying from a very trustworthy friend but, still a lot of k's yeah? Any advice? Thank you Toyota people :-)

Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

What engine V-6 or 4-cylinder?

This is not a lot of km's however if a 4-cylinder

Ask about engine oil consumption.

And if engine coolant is needed to be added.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:06 PM

Thanks for your reply toyomoho
It's a V6 and I believe it's not using oil excessively - never needs top ups between services. I know the owner checks it regularly. Not sure about engine coolant ...
He's selling because he wanted a smaller car and has bought one already from one of his kids. Most of what I know about the Camry, I found out before my son was even thinking about buying it, just in conversation, because he's had it for sale for quite a while. I can only think that people are turned off by the number of k's

Old 07-31-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The V-6 has no issues of coolant loss or oil burning, so no worries here. If a V-6 it is most likely is a 1MZ-FE model which is great engine.

Is the transmission stick shift or automatic?

If an automatic find out when transmission fluid was changed and how often. If never changed then will be wondering here as lack of fluid changes can result in failed transmissions.

For me the issues of higher mileage cars tend to come down to how a car was maintained, what type of driving was done (highway versus city), price and how many miles do I expect to put on the car.

Is the car going to be used as a daily driver to the store (a few miles) or for long trips.

Modern cars should go 480000+ will proper maintenance however they do have limits as to life without needing major repairs.

If well maintained, in good condition, if an automatic trans and you have the answers to the trans fluid changes, your are interested in the car, you don't expect to drive it forever (its not a new car and has 315000). Then the issue would be price, as in getting the car as cheap as possible. And not to OVER pay as you have seen how others are turned off by the miles.

What is the owner asking for the car?

Suggest you check out a AU site called Car Prices - Car Research - Search Car Prices & Values Online - RedBook.com.au to get an estimate at how much the car is worth. You want the private sale price. The average car is driven around 20000 miles a year and this is how the price is determined. Higher miles means a lower value.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:23 PM

Cheers ... thanks so much for that
He went ahead and bought the car over the weekend - paid $2800 for it which we both felt was ok. It's been well maintained, has all service records and he's quite happy in the end. I had checked the Red Book values last week and it fell within the average for price just not for k's which is why I decided to post in the forum
I'm glad I did join up because it will be a future resource for him and his first car.
Thanks again ... have a great day

Old 08-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Good job! The price is right.

Make sure if an automatic all the transmission fluid was changed in the last 50K miles. Worn out trans fluid is the number one cause of trans failure. If changing the fluid, have the shop just do a fluid change. One that uses the transmission pump to move the old fluid out while the new is flows in. Not a high pressure flush or one that uses cleaning chemicals.

If needing future help post back.

Cheers!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:44 PM

I really do appreciate your help. It's a good car and my son is loving it :-)
I am not a Toyota driver myself but I've given him the link to the forum so he can join himself, for any future questions.
Cheers and thanks again

Old 08-06-2016, 06:48 PM

try to get him to not accelerate with a heavy foot if auto trans. trans are not cheap to rebuild. i blew my moms new car trans in less than 24,000 mi when i was 17