General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Random very high rpms/idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Default Random very high rpms/idle

Hello everyone:

It's my first visit to this site and I'm a long time Camry Wagon addict. I've got a problem I was wondering if all your expertise could help me with.

My problem started about 1 year ago. I'm driving the highway and when it comes time to slow down the rpms won't come down, stuck at about 1500. I punched the gas peddle and rpms returned to normal. Have checked cables from the peddle to the air intake and all is smooth operation. At first this only happened on HOT sunny days. The frequency has increased since then to every time I drive, summer or winter. Today the rpms were stuck at 3000 doing local driving and punching the peddle didn't work some of the time. Its time to get this fixed. Could this be the throttle position sensor failing? Would the EGR be involved with this?

Driving: 1995 camry wagon V6
Thanks,
dmend

Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 AM
Default RE: Random very high rpms/idle

Sounds like you've gut a stuck butterfly valve in the throttle body. Remove air filter hose and clean the butterfly, especially the top, and inside the TBI. Use carb cleaner, rags, toothbrush. It will be dirty, because it sits in the plenum where PCV fumes come in.
Also soak inside the hole where the IAC (idle aircontrol) valve feeds air. This may fix it.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:34 PM

It appears the butterfly sticking may be the issue. When the problem occurs I've pulled over into parking lots and popped the hood, banged on a few things but it always comes back to the butterfly not closing all the way. I've cleaned it many times. I may dismantle it and replace the return spring while I have it apart. I'll post the results.

thanks
dmend

Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 PM

Maybe you could add another spring somewhere to help it until you get around to fixing the OEM spring? Also maybe your cable is dry or dirty and lube would help, id use a motorcycle cable product..? Thats a weird problem, usually that spring is so strong its not easy to hold the BF open/

Old 07-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Problem solved...

The problem was in that black box where the cruise controll and accelerator linkage meet. One of the mechanisums (sp?) that the accelerator linkage hooked to was all gummed up causing it to stick and not return all the way. Also had to adjust the cable, tighten it, running to the throttle housing.

Thanks for the ideas....

Dmend

Old 07-05-2006, 01:24 PM

not sure bout this one dmend ive never had that happen to me before. Get it checked out immediately, cause if u dont u stand a chance of blowing ur motor then ull be up for big bucks

Dan