New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

My "New" 2003 4cylinders Camry

Old 07-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Default My "New" 2003 4cylinders Camry

First time Camry owner. Can someone tell my what I should do first so my Camry will last. It was bought from the original owner with 142K miles. Runs and shifts great, AC is cold. Tires are pretty good. Oil was just changed, 2K miles ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

For starters:

If the trans fluid has never been changed, do so. Have all of it changed. A pump inlet flush machine is best or DIY via breaking the coolant line method.

Ditto for power steering fluid. Change the power steering fluid in the reservoir between drives until it is becomes clear. Use a suction tool such as at the link below:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Use synthetic engine oil and change at around 5K to help prevent plugging of the oil ring piston return holes.

Read up on this engine model for issues of head bolt thread pull out which can lead to coolant loss and excess oil consumption issues. Monitor the engine for signs of either problem.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
For starters:

If the trans fluid has never been changed, do so. Have all of it changed. A pump inlet flush machine is best or DIY via breaking the coolant line method.

Ditto for power steering fluid. Change the power steering fluid in the reservoir between drives until it is becomes clear. Use a suction tool such as at the link below:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Use synthetic engine oil and change at around 5K to help prevent plugging of the oil ring piston return holes.

Read up on this engine model for issues of head bolt thread pull out which can lead to coolant loss and excess oil consumption issues. Monitor the engine for signs of either problem.

Thanks, I'll start on the power steering fluid tomorrow. I will do the transmission fluid with my next check. I appreciate the response.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:58 PM

I would suggest monitoring the coolant level religiously. These motors last forever unless allowed to run hot. Then they are pretty much toast.