New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New member in CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Question New member in CA

I joined this forum to say Hi and try to find some answers to fault codes with my 98 Camry, LE, V6, Auto, 245,000 miles. built in Japan not the US.
Fault codes are
P0770
P0773
P1705
Or is it time to buy a new car?

Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

These are all transmission codes.

P0773 is problem with shift solenoid SL or wiring to it.

P0770 is SL solenoid, valve body issue or lock up clutch. A common code.

P1705 Open/short in direct clutch speed sensor circuit or direct clutch speed sensor or ECM.

These parts can be replaced without taking the trans out. How handy are you with tools?

But first check if varmints, etc have possible damaged the wiring going to the trans.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I did find out that they are trans codes beforehand. The day after my son brought it back, I was replacing the fuel pump in his pickup, is when I checked the codes and it wouldn't go into gear at all. I'm very handy with tools, my career for almost 30 yrs. The last 12 or so with Dodge products. Until 1999. Out of that trade because of disability. Now I'm retired.

Gailen

Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Greetings Gailen:

The trans may be a model A541E. This was a revised version of the A540E. Look on the side of the driver's door for a sticker listing somewhere on it the trans model.

Then suggest an internet search on the trans model for pdf files as in "A541E" (or A540E) plus the word "pdf". The result will be hits like the ones below:

shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/A540E.pd

www.turboninjas.com/camry/ax2.pdf

There is LOTS of info on these trans and these trouble codes. Once found, review it to understand how to proceed.

Haynes or Clinton manuals don't cover a lot on auto trans and may not be much help.

When looking for solenoids. They may not be referenced by "SL" but a number (1 to 3) or letter such as "E". "E" is another name for the "SL" solenoid.

SL is the torque converter lock up solenoid.

One caution is if the trans doesn't engage any gear (L-D or R). The issue could be something other than a solenoid. This such as a clutch, brake or bad torque converter clutch.

You could test the solenoids on the car based on the info found in the ax2.pdf hit listed above.

The trans should be able to be operated manually with the shifter. The valve body having both manual and electronic control of porting. Try shifting manually and determine what happens.

Typically with a "SL" solenoid failure. The trans works OK but just doesn't shift into "overdrive" or lockup mode.

Solenoids are available from aftermarket manufacturers.

You can drop the trans and note the debris if any and type. Metal from something major or fiber (from the clutch plates).

Check fluid trans fluid level (obvious) and trans intake screen for plugging. Fluid color should be reddish. The more black the worse its condition. Note that worn out fluid (never changing fluid), can and has caused a lot of these trans to fail.

Post back with what you find out.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Welcome. I'm from Long Beach, CA.