New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

in over my head, engine dissection advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Red face in over my head, engine dissection advise?

you may want to sit down for this one....or have a beer on hand.
I have been preparing my 99 camry (2.2l 4cyl) for engine removal. This is my second Camry (the first one, a 92, is working fine). Both were handed down to me by my parents God love 'em, and each were bought new in their respective years. What happened with this one started with a tapping sound coming from the engine and.....well long story short(and abstractified): metal shavings in the oil pan, one rod bearing is WAY WAY bigger and thinner than the others, the others are chewed up and we are trying to get the crankshaft out to replace it or have it machined. I'm sorry.... I'm a noob and this is making me cry. Am I doing the right thing by taking out the engine? It feels like it is taking forever and maybe someone out there can help us with more directly helpful research links or something? I have been doing reseach every day on all kinds of related subjects but nothing tells me directly. anyway...hi! I guess the Ice is broken pretty good now....

Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Are you debating about removing the crank with engine in car or out?

It may be possible to take the crank out with the engine still in the car. If my car unless some reason exists I don't know of would remove the engine. There is more upfront work but once out access would be much easier.

The engine can come out the top or bottom. The bottom requires a lift to raise the car high enough for the engine to clear. Suggest going out the top. Take the trans out with the engine.

If you don't have service info buy a Haynes manual or photocopy info from your library. Before removing the engine make all wiring and hose connections, take photos if possible, bag up parts and mark them, etc. This will make reassembly much easier.

You can also post at the Toyotanation site to get other opinions.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Default Retired with too many proect cars!! Scrap $14 they are all GONE!

Got the beer in your hand? I am working on my first toyota changing water pump. From what I have seen on my 94 Camry I would not attempt a crank R&R BUT!
Did this on a 94 Eclipse got the car in exchange for labor $330. Drove vehicle home with oil lamp flickering! Top speed 35: over run in direct, coast to 25 back up to 35. So I know there are engine and transmission problems and no cat. Let wife drive around yard as she is learning to drive. After I replaced the full floating connecting rod bearings and picked the savings out of the completely blocked strainer. Did research how to hot wire electric transmission, Put infant car seat in back and drove to church for a while.
Realized we needed a 4 door no way to deal with baby in Eclipse. So finally get set for title : car belonged to friends(?) daughter it was HER first car. I had to decide was it worth keeping the cute too little car that still needed a cat and transmission work? There is plenty of room under the Mitsubishi BUT scrap went up to $14 so I got my money back by scraping the car! The next day neighbor informed me he knew someone that needed the body'! So just depends on how much time you have and how much you value your time and actual time WITH wife unless she likes to crawl around or duck around under cars. I am too tall for lifts or pits and to old and heavy for creepers. How big is a grizzly?:6"5' and 300# <(magic number) I gotta lose weight!

Last edited by grizlbr; 10-15-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: just the facts
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Toyota has service manuals on line. Bugger to locate but got complete 94 Camry with elec. only 8 meg. will see if download page still shows up.
http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/camry94wiring.pdf
http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/wp-c...gram_thumb.png
http://www.scribd.com/doc/101003065/Camry-94-Wiring
http://bgbonline.celicatech.com/6g/e...agrams/engine% once they require logon get more listed vehicles did not get download confirmation so look before you click 4 times (not me!)
I Stopped @ 95/96 5SFE Looking is free keep looking: you always find whats lost in the last place you look. Godspeed!

Last edited by grizlbr; 10-15-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: more