New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

I need advise please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Default I need advise please

I'm new to Toyota repairs, but not new to cars and forums. While helping with my daughters newly acquired '95 Camry 2.2L we diagnosed leaks in the PS system I discovered a number of problems. I have replaced the pump with a re-mfg unit and the power hose as well as the return hose. Everything is okay and not leaking. Now I discover a leak of PS fluid coming from the right front (Pass. Side) bellows of the rack and pinion. evidently there is a leak in the seal of the rack somewhere and it is coming out a small hole in the outside end of the bellows. Do you suggest a replacement of the rack and pinion completely or is there a somethat less expensive but good repair? Thanks
Ray Kiszely, Brown Summit NC (near Greensboro)

Old 07-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RayKiszely
I'm new to Toyota repairs, but not new to cars and forums. While helping with my daughters newly acquired '95 Camry 2.2L we diagnosed leaks in the PS system I discovered a number of problems. I have replaced the pump with a re-mfg unit and the power hose as well as the return hose. Everything is okay and not leaking. Now I discover a leak of PS fluid coming from the right front (Pass. Side) bellows of the rack and pinion. evidently there is a leak in the seal of the rack somewhere and it is coming out a small hole in the outside end of the bellows. Do you suggest a replacement of the rack and pinion completely or is there a somethat less expensive but good repair? Thanks
Ray Kiszely, Brown Summit NC (near Greensboro)
that is under high pressure, so therefore, i would not recommend any sealant as that too can plug up any small orifices in the system. i think you should get a reman rack and pinion.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Default Thank You

Glenn:
Thanks for the suggestion. Last night I was dreaming I made a cheap repair and was driving her car on the Blue Ridge Highway and going down a switch back road to town. You can imagine what happens when you have no steering on a sharp turn going downhill on a mountain road. Ouch!!!!!!!