Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2007 Camry Squeaking Noise Coming From Belt Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Default 2007 Camry Squeaking Noise Coming From Belt Area

Help! I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and knows what to do. I have a squeaking noise coming from the area where the alternator and such are. At first I thought it was just that the belt needed changing. Took it to the dealership to have them check it out. Had them change the belt as well. They said that wasn't the problem and to bring it back for them to check further. Brought it back because it needed some more work. They did the other work but didn't get around to checking the squeaking noise out (BTW, my local dealer sucks just for the record). Not wanting to go thru the trouble of making another appointment and waiting hours to bring it to them again, I took it to three different shops, Good Year, Sears and Midas. Good Year said and Sears said it's probably the pulleys and the squeaking was nothing to worry about (but they could replace them all for about $200. Midas checked a little more thoroughly and said the pulleys are fine and that the noise is coming from the AC compressor. Mechanic said there's nothing to be concerned about safety wise or that the car would break down because of it. But at times the squeak gets loud and it's starting to drive me crazy! Midas said I would probably have to have the compressor replaced to get rid of the noise. I'm trying to avoid this as it is costly and my AC works fine. Has anyone had this problem and have had a better solution? Suggestions?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM

thanks for the article, I would really appreciate it if you could share some video about it.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM

Wow. Thanks so much, go-part. I'm going to have to check that out this weekend. Never thought that could be it.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 PM

Well, the things suggested in the article didn't work. Out of desperation I took it to a different Goodyear shop. They determined that it was the alternator. The alternator was charging the system fine but something about the gears in the pulley. It made sense when they were explaining it but I don't think I can sufficiently explain what the mechanic said. Bottom line, I had the alternator replaced and I am an extremely happy driver of a very quiet Camry!