Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

1998 CAMRY V6, 82.7K miles, Passenger side "DOG BONE ENGINE MOUNT"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Cool 1998 CAMRY V6, 82.7K miles, Passenger side "DOG BONE ENGINE MOUNT"

1998 CAMRY V6,XLE Passenger side "DOG BONE ENGINE MOUNT"

I have a 1998 Camry XLE 6 CYL, Manual transmission with 82,728 miles.
Last July, 2017, on an oil change, tire rotation, at my local Toyota Dealership, I was handed the invoice, and one of the (MANY) concerns noted, was that under multipoint visual inspection, the technician noticed, "The passenger "DOG BONE" engine mount is torn upon arrival. Recommended "Replacement." I was told this would cost around $300, or more!

First of all, what in the heck is a DOG BONE ENGINE MOUNT, and what should the normal repair costs be for such a thing? Would I need BOTH doggy bone mounts replaced? I would think so. And is this ever a Toyota recall item?

Should I be very worried driving around with a 'loose and torn "Dog Bone engine mounts?

For this, I would use authentic Toyotoa parts, so I would need a repair shop, that can do this cheaper, than the dealership can, but using genuine Toyoya parts.

And should I NOT, take a drive from Orange County, Ca, to Phoenix, AZ, or anywhere, until I can afford to have this replaced???????

Thank you!

Last edited by camryjimmy98; 02-12-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

The dog bone mount is the upper engine mount. It looks like a dog bone. See link below for photos and options other then dealer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=98+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The part is very low cost, EASY and quick to replace if having a metric socket set. Do you have a friend with some mechanical knowledge and tools?

No recall. VERY common for the rubber bushing to break down.

If you worried. With engine running, trans in park or neutral and emergency brake on. Have someone rev the engine while you watch the engine for movement.

The dog bone mount prevents the engine from rocking forward and back. Unless the movement is excessive, you can wait to have it fixed.

Even if the rubber bushings totally fail, the mount retaining sleeve will still limit engine movement.

Most third party repairs shops want to use their own parts which may not be Toyota or the customers.

Get the mount for the correct year and engine type.