Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Default ABS light on

I have a 02 camry LE. My ABS light came on the other day out of no where, once i turned off my car it didnt come back on again so I let it be. Well i started my car again the other day and the light came on before i even put it in drive. Any suggestions on what it might be so I can go replace it before it gets bad. Fluid level is fine, i checked the pads, the brake lines arent leaking, pretty much anything I can look at visually thats related to the brakes. Nothings leaking or squeeking. The light doesnt stay on but im starting to notice it come on more often and at closer intervals. Brakes feel ok, not squeeshy, everything seems normal except for that light.

Last edited by grocerygettercamry; 05-25-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

The ABS computer checks the ABS system components. If a problem the light comes on, if the problem goes away the light goes off. When the light is on the ABS system is off.

The ABS system is an addition to the normal braking system. If the ABS system is off the car will still have brakes but the brakes will not have the anti-lock feature working. The brakes will now work like the millions of othes cars that do not have ABS systems.

The ABS computer has a code readout system much like the engines Check Engine Light system. When the ABS light is on, a trouble code is stored in the computers memory. You can output these code via a code reader that plugs into the ODBII port.

However not sure all code readers will access these ABS codes thus check the code readers specifications. In some states Autozone parts stores and maybe others outlets offer to read codes for free.

The dealer can access the codes but will charge about $99 for the trouble.

The Haynes manual below may provide some info but best to check the books contents first before buying. On occasion Haynes skips over areas stating they are to complicated for owner/mechanics.

http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1.../productID/296

The Autozone website may have info on this in their Vehicle Repair Guide sections.