Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Master cylinder/caliper question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Default Master cylinder/caliper question

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE with about 190,000 miles.

In April I got a rear brake job after they were grinding (I was due for one). At the time my mechanic pointed out the rotors were severely damaged and also said the material on my emergency brake was completely gone and replaced it as well as the rotors. Strange, since I had just passed state inspection at another shop. Everything was fine for a few weeks. Then I noticed a rubber burning smell from my back driver's side tire one evening. (This was after using the ebrake early in the day for the first time since it was replaced) The rim was HOT to the touch while the front were just warm and the back passengers side was essentially cold. I noticed this problem on and off for a few weeks including very minor squealing until finally in July that wheel started grinding like my brake pads were gone again. Seemed to me like my caliper had been sticking. Took it back and everything was under warranty except this time they replaced the caliper on the problem wheel and also added a new hose and bled everything.

So now my first long (30 min) drive, and the rim is scalding hot again.

My question is, can a failing master cylinder only affect one wheel? Shouldn't all of them be sticking? I can't imagine if my guy bled everything he didn't suggest the master cylinder might be failing. Could it be an issue with that emergency brake causing something to gum up the works?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Could be:

Master cylinder.

Emergency brake. The emergency brake uses brake shoes. The clearance between the pads and drum can be adjusted.

Debris in brake line not allowing fluid return.

Air still in system.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:26 PM

Maybe one of the springs on the emergency brakes popped off after install and shoes not seating correctly. Hence, the one wheel and not the other.