Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Need help with brake conversion/upgrade from 01 CE to V6 F&R disc brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 09:08 AM
Default Need help with brake conversion/upgrade from 01 CE to V6 F&R disc brakes.

Hey forum, I have a few questions/clarification regarding upgrading brakes on my 2001 US made Camry CE with 2.2L and 15" wheels (275mm front rotors), rear drums, no ABS. I know you can upgrade the rear brakes from drum to disc by using the brakes from a V6 model. What I'm trying to do is upgrade my brakes on my CE to the better brakes from a V6, front if they are better and rear drum to disc conversion.

Here is what I am confused about.

1. Are the front brakes different from a V6 vs 2.2L CE with 15 inch wheels, I notice they use different part numbers. The reason I ask is I'm wondering if they are better braking and worth swapping out to the V6 from the CE brakes.

2. Are the front brakes/calipers/hubs different on a V6 model from US to Japan built? I noticed that they use different part numbers, which suggests they are different. Which is better, Japan or US front brakes? Worth swapping my front brakes on my CE?

3. When swapping front and rear hubs/calipers, do you have to match US made car with US V6 made? Or can you swap Japan and US, basically mix matching?

I just trying to get this l figured out before I go to the salvage yard and start pulling parts. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kaptain; 09-30-2021 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-30-2021, 03:31 PM

Seriously no one can help?

Old 09-30-2021, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Your salvage parts list depends on what your car has.

Does your car have rear disk brakes?

ABS? Cars can have ABS or not.

Front 4-cylinder rotors can be 255 or 275 mm. The larger size appears to be for the larger diameter rim. The V-6 had the larger diameter.

Rear disks require a different knuckle designed for calipers.

Emergency brake system is different. Rear disks use a rear disk design also incorporating a drum to allow for brake shoes for the emergency brake.

If your going from drum to disk you may need a different proportioning valve.

If having ABS may need a rear knuckle for ABS.

Part numbers and description may vary with parts selling site, who made the part and what the part is. Some part makers don't discriminate build countries and assume the parts are the same. Some parts list both build countries which may be a function of that part. Look at what your part is, who is the vendor, seller, etc.

Would assume the rotors are from the same vendor regardless of what the build country was.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Your salvage parts list depends on what your car has.

Does your car have rear disk brakes?

ABS? Cars can have ABS or not.

Front 4-cylinder rotors can be 255 or 275 mm. The larger size appears to be for the larger diameter rim. The V-6 had the larger diameter.

Rear disks require a different knuckle designed for calipers.

Emergency brake system is different. Rear disks use a rear disk design also incorporating a drum to allow for brake shoes for the emergency brake.

If your going from drum to disk you may need a different proportioning valve.

If having ABS may need a rear knuckle for ABS.

Part numbers and description may vary with parts selling site, who made the part and what the part is. Some part makers don't discriminate build countries and assume the parts are the same. Some parts list both build countries which may be a function of that part. Look at what your part is, who is the vendor, seller, etc.

Would assume the rotors are from the same vendor regardless of what the build country was.
I understand the process and needed parts for the swap ie proportioning valve and E brake parts, I just need help with my questions about the brakes themselves. As I stated I have a Camry CE US made with 15" wheels (aka 275mm), rear brakes on all CEs are drums, thus as I said need to swap drum to disc. But I am also wondering if front disc brakes on US vs Japan V6 models (they have separate part numbers) vs the front brake I have on my CE, which is also a different part number, which are all slightly different parts, especially the calipers and pads. US vs Japan made Camrys do differ in parts, not just the numbers. I appreciate the response but you didn't read my post, as most of what you said/asked has already been stated.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I did read your post, twice! Once before and once after you edited it.

Where was your car built? If offered a choice, get parts for your country of build.

Your car's front brakes are already the largest diameter offered. No need for changes here.

See link below for rear brake conversion.

https://www.camryforums.com/how-tos/...-brakes-396461

Are Japan parts better. Toyota appeared to make changes in US part design and materials, assumed to lower production costs.