Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

99 Camry LE -Need advice on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Default 99 Camry LE -Need advice on brakes

Hey all,

So I'm looking to upgrade on my brakes because I currently have Auto zone duralast pads which aren't cutting it. This morning I rear ended someone even though I was 4 car lengths away (No major damage just paint)... Needless to say the ABS braking system in my car is terrible, however could I improve my stopping distance by putting a new set of rotors and breaks on my car? My spending limit would be in the $300-$400 range. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I last change the pads a year ago.

-Thanks

Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest doing research on the internet on improving brakes and stopping distance.

If needing to stop as quickly as possible when the brakes are cold (have not braked in a time when driving) look at ceramic pads. But not all ceramic pads are the same in terms of pad material content thus need to buy a quality brand.

keep in mind braking requirements can be vary such as braking after highway driving, ongoing braking where the pads and rotors heat up and severe braking such as pulling a trailer going down hill.

Hawke, Brembo and others make high performance pads. You want something like street performance rather then racing performance where the pads are always hot.

Something like the pads below:

Hawk HPS Street brake pads

Look at the rotors, if they are severely grooved this can affect braking. If changing rotors you don't need drilled or slotted rotors for street use so don't bother. If you have a dollar limit buy a brand name but get the standard rotor which is lower cost. Brembo and Centric among others make quality rotors.

Adding steel front brake lines to replace the front rubber ones can reduce the time it takes to build up pressure in the brake calipers.

Tires will also make a difference but this would exceed your dollar limit.

Make sure the tires are inflated to the correct pressure as this can affect braking.

The tirerack.com website has listings for Brembo pads.

Some pads will wear out faster along with wearing the rotor thus keep this in mind.

Last edited by toyomoho; 05-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Suggest doing research on the internet on improving brakes and stopping distance.

If needing to stop as quickly as possible when the brakes are cold (have not braked in a time when driving) look at ceramic pads. But not all ceramic pads are the same in terms of pad material content thus need to buy a quality brand.

keep in mind braking requirements can be vary such as braking after highway driving, ongoing braking where the pads and rotors heat up and severe braking such as pulling a trailer going down hill.

Hawke, Brembo and others make high performance pads. You want something like street performance rather then racing performance where the pads are always hot.

Something like the pads below:

Hawk HPS Street brake pads

Look at the rotors, if they are severely grooved this can affect braking. If changing rotors you don't need drilled or slotted rotors for street use so don't bother. If you have a dollar limit buy a brand name but get the standard rotor which is lower cost. Brembo and Centric among others make quality rotors.

Adding steel front brake lines to replace the front rubber ones can reduce the time it takes to build up pressure in the brake calipers.

Tires will also make a difference but this would exceed your dollar limit.

Make sure the tires are inflated to the correct pressure as this can affect braking.

The tirerack.com website has listings for Brembo pads.

Some pads will wear out faster along with wearing the rotor thus keep this in mind.
Thanks for the advice, wish I would have read it before I ordered, unfortunately I ordered cross drilled and slotted rotors. My first pair was defective but the replacement I got is fine. Now I have new issue with steering wheel vibration at highway speed. Just posted about it.

-Thanks again