Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

New to Camry, advice needed.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Default New to Camry, advice needed.

Hey group.. just bought a 2014 Camry with 21k. Hoping for the same reliability I have had in the past with Toyota. I want to get a new set of alloy rims and I am looking for suggestions. Since the rubber is so good, I was thinking of sticking with 16".. I plan on getting winter tires for the steelies.
Also, this is my first car with TPMS. How much expense/pain is involved with registering the sensors with the car each time I change the seasonal wheels over?

Old 09-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

TireRack.com has lots of choices to view. Depends on what you want. Rims used on Camry have a certain bolt pattern and offset (location of the bolt hub in relation the outer rim (in or out). Search for rims that fit you year of car.

Are you going to install TPMS in both sets of rims?

If changing tires, suggest before installing the new tire on the rim to write down the ID's on each TPMS.

You will need an aftermarket TPMS or a scan tool having TPMS to input the ID's to the ECU. Some TPMS tools can read the ID off the TPMS electronically.

The internet has lots of TPMS tools for sale.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the tips. I guess I don't have to have the TPMS? I'll just get a light on the dash if I don't? Can I take the car to my local tire shop and have them input the codes, do you know how much this is?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Tire shops should have a tool. I don't know what it cost for a shop to input the codes. One way or another they will need the codes to input.

Suggest calling a tire store you might use. Ask about this cost. Ask if they have a tool that can read the TPMS ID's electronically. Or if they need to read the code off the TPMS sensor itself.

If needing to read the codes off the sensor, have the store mounting the tires record all the TPMS ID numbers. This would be a good idea regardless.

If you are going to be changing between snow and normal tires yourself. After determining the cost to input the ID's search the internet for the cost of a tool. Over the long run it may be cheaper to buy a tool. Learn how to use it and do the job yourself.

One can also just live with the dash indicators being on. However check with your states vehicle emissions/inspection department to determine if the car will pass inspection if the TPMS warning system is on.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Tire shops should have a tool. I don't know what it cost for a shop to input the codes. One way or another they will need the codes to input.

Suggest calling a tire store you might use. Ask about this cost. Ask if they have a tool that can read the TPMS ID's electronically. Or if they need to read the code off the TPMS sensor itself.

If needing to read the codes off the sensor, have the store mounting the tires record all the TPMS ID numbers. This would be a good idea regardless.

If you are going to be changing between snow and normal tires yourself. After determining the cost to input the ID's search the internet for the cost of a tool. Over the long run it may be cheaper to buy a tool. Learn how to use it and do the job yourself.

One can also just live with the dash indicators being on. However check with your states vehicle emissions/inspection department to determine if the car will pass inspection if the TPMS warning system is on.
Thank you very much for the info.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:56 PM

I have a 1995 Toyota camry DX. I want the drum brakes converted to a disc brakes. Is it possible to use a 2014 Toyota Camry disc brake kits?