Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear brake valve, suspension adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Default Rear brake valve, suspension adjustable

Good day everyone!

My son has a 93 Camry XLE with 3.0 V6. We were just replacing the brakes on it this last week and found some interesting things. The car has 4-wheel disc brakes, there is some sort of adjustable brake valve with an adjustment Rod that goes down to one of the lower control arms. It looks like it adjusts the brake pressure based on suspension compression. Anyone else ever seen this or have any experience with it? I was just curious if it does what I think it does.

The front brakes were also interesting. There are plastic ducts to direct cooling air into the brakes on both sides. The ducts bolt to the spindle assembly. I bought the standard replacement pads, but when we took it apart the pads on his car were about a half inch longer. So we had to go back to the parts store and have them look up other part numbers for the pads. I am not sure what package it is, but this car seems to have heavy duty brakes. I have not seen anything like this on any Toyota.

Thanks and have a good one!

Old 01-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Station wagon?

Old 01-02-2020, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Station wagon?
Nope, 4 door sedan

Old 01-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

A device having a coil spring with a rod in the center? One end of the rod is connected to a suspension rod and the other to a round shaped device bolted to the car? The round device plumbed into the brake system.

If so, its a load sensing proportional valve. Changes braking based on cars load (weight),

Was standard on station wagon. Not shown for sedan but in manual? The braking cooling ducts are also not shown. Do these items appear factory installed?

Old 01-04-2020, 11:42 AM

A device having a coil spring with a rod in the center? One end of the rod is connected to a suspension rod and the other to a round shaped device bolted to the car? The round device plumbed into the brake system.

If so, its a load sensing proportional valve. Changes braking based on cars load (weight),

Was standard on station wagon. Not shown for sedan but in manual? The braking cooling ducts are also not shown. Do these items appear factory installed?
Yes, a rod with a threaded adjustment on bottom side with a coil spring, going up to the valve mounted to the body. Everything looks factory installed, all the parts seem to be the same age.

We are the third owner of the car, my son has owned it for about 3 and a half years. The guy we got it from only had it less than 2 years, his son outgrew it, but his son was 6'6" and still growing. They bought it down in Florida from the original owner. The car was sold new in Florida, spent most of its life there and was serviced at a local Toyota dealer almost exclusively.

I wish that I took some pics while we were working on it, but we were a bit rushed. We had alot of little things to fix on it, my son just left yesterday for South Carolina. I'll try to get some pics in a few months when he gets back.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Does the valve look like one of the load sensing valves pictured in the link below?

https://www.google.com/search?q=camr...kt4EcSUidqWFM:

Never heard of air ducting for brakes on stock Camry.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:54 PM

Does the valve look like one of the load sensing valves pictured in the link below?

https://www.google.com/search?q=camr...kt4EcSUidqWFM:

Never heard of air ducting for brakes on stock Camry.
It looks a bit like one of those. Unfortunately, my son is down in South Carolina for a while. I will try to gets pics if the rear valve and the front ducts the next time he is home.