Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear Clunking, Your Insight

Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Default Rear Clunking, Your Insight

Hello. I'm new to Camry Forums. Thank you for the info I've already obtained after finding the site a few days ago.

I've been experiencing the infamous clunking/clattering in the rear suspension of my 95 Camry DX. The noise has gradually grown more noticable over the last 8 months or so. The noise, as I know you know, sounds something like a tire iron hopping around on a carpetless trunk floor. The car is a 2.2L auto, all stock, with 85,000 miles, orig owner. Nothing special. Not many options. I figure if I don't hav'em, I can't break 'em. Just a great, reliable daily driver. I'm a fair backyard mechanic but I don't know much about the quirks of these cars.

About a week ago I had the dealer replace all struts (and the rear strut mounts or tops). I figured it was due for struts anyway. The rear clunking persists. Front seems fine, and always has. The noise it most noticable when travelling at about 30mph +- over small, sharp bumps and dips (for instance a slightly raised or depressed manhole cover or other smallish imperfections in the road).

One thing I noticed today was that when driving as described above AND travelling through a bumpy curve, the clunking seemed to diminish greatly if not disappear altogether.

I couldn't help but wonder if since the sway bar is torqued while cornering and the bushings and end links are under load and tightening up any play, could this be a possible, if crude, diagnostic tools for determining whether the bushing and/or links are the problem. Or should I not read too much into that observation? I'm trying to isolate the problem so as not to spend $$ on unneeded parts.

My gut is telling me to replace the bushings and/or end links but when I crawl under the car and firmly pull and shake all the components, everything seems nice and tight and the bushings "look" fine. I suspect, however, that this may not be a good method for determining worn suspension parts. Also, can you tell me if the rear sway bar bushing is 15/16mm or 17mm ID.

I look forward to any insight that you can provide. If I've left out any necessary info just let me know. Sorry for being so longwinded. It's just my way. Thanks a bunch.