Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Steering Gear leaky

Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Red face Steering Gear leaky

1997 Camry LE, V6, 113K miles

Hello Gang,
Suddenly the steering gear boot on the right side started leaking a bunch...I must've hit something that rebounded up there; it was sudden. No performance/steering symptoms otherwise as I only noticed the pool of oily stuff on the concrete on Sunday whilst parked.

So what's the dealio? I have many questions. Where does this lubrication-loss originate? The power steering resivoir seems at normal level. Also, is this a replace-the-whole-steering-gear job? Also, I did a search here on "steering gear" and didn't get much in return. Is this thingy also known as "steering rack"? I'm limited by the lingo on the Hayne's Manual that terms it "steering gear". It's the thingy that pushes the tie-rods out when you turn the wheel. There's rubber boots proximally on each side; the one on the right sprung a leak.

Lastly, I'm an eager DIY'er. Is this a job for me? Thanks for any and all advice.
-Alan

Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

The rack housing has a seal at each end where the rods come out. If the seal fails fluid will leak out. The boots are there to keep out water and debris, not keep in the fluid. This is what the seal does.

Unfortunately to replace the seal requires removing the rack then taking it apart. The seal comes out from the drivers side of the housing. Most people op for a rebuilt rack at this point.

Removing the rack is time consuming.

You might try something like Lucas PS leak fix until you can do the repair.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Red face

Thanks Joey for the explanation, it now makes sense why I had to add PS fluid slowly over the last few months...much of the fluid must've leaked into the boot then the dam finally gave way.

So here's a question. If I have to remove the steering gear anyhow, wouldn't it be cheaper to simply remove the steering gear, then replace the defective seal(s) on the workbench than to replace the entire hardware/shebang?
If so, where would one find those seals? If not, where would I find a worthwhile replacement steering gear? Prices? (I have no prob shopping around; just wondering if you or anyone has any secret suppliers, lol.)

Thanks for your advice!
-Alan

Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Rockauto.com and other online websites sell complete rack and pinion assy. Prices range from $125-215 for rebuilt. An autoparts stores should be able to get a unit.

Rockauto also sells seal kits, assume others do also.

Rockauto is an excellent company.

Most people replace the unit rather then repair it.

Never done the job. Can be time consuming but a common repair for owners to do. Suggest reviewing posts at the Toyotanation website as the issue has come up before.

Suggest getting some kind of manual.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Thumbs up

Great advice, toyomoho. I'll let you/y'all know how it goes when the time comes. Thanks!
-Alan

Old 01-29-2011, 05:11 AM

I took my bd to the vet 3 days ago, because she wouldnt put on weight. The blood tests came back today. She has something wrong with the way she takes in protein and fat. I think it might be hereditary