Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Strut replacement on front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 07:34 AM
Question Strut replacement on front suspension

Hi all,

I'm now the proud owner of a 1998 Camry (in the UK) and wondering if the car could do with some new front struts - it feels a little bouncy in the front end and I can only assume this is due to the age of the car, and it sags noticeably to the point that the bottom of the car is not level, and images of the Camry new back in the 90s show it as being pretty much perfectly level.

It isn't so much an issue in the sense that it impacts the handling or the ride quality, but on the other hand, I don't have any basis for comparison, so I've been wondering whether it's worth overhauling it, and if anyone else has seen this and "fixed" it, to the point of improving the ride quality at all. Would it level the car back out?

Happy to share more.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Spring controls sag while struts control bounce. If having both issues look for a combo strut and spring setup. Monroe used to sell something called a "quick strut" which had both struct and spring perhaps other companies do also.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:32 PM

Congratulations on your 1998 Camry! The noticeable sag and bounciness in the front end might indeed be attributed to aging struts. Upgrading to new front struts could potentially restore the car's level stance, enhancing both aesthetics and handling. While it may not be a critical issue, addressing it could offer a smoother ride and improve overall driving comfort. Considering the age of the vehicle, investing in new struts seems like a worthwhile endeavor, providing a refreshed and more balanced driving experience. Consult with a mechanic for a professional assessment tailored to your Camry's specific needs.

Old 02-01-2024, 11:36 PM

I am having the feeling that you are telling the right thing