Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

STRUTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Default STRUTS

Hello all, I was hoping that I would not have to ask any questions on this site, but I just gotta. I have a 1996 Camry 4cyl 2dr coup. I am having the issue of clunking, knocking underneath, front, back, middle it seems....most all the time except on smooth highway. I was told by several people it was my struts. Well please forgive my ignorance, but, aren't struts and shocks the same? If they aren't and I needed to purchase a set for all 4 wheels, what exactly am I asking for. The local mechanic said if I'd purchase the shocks, they would put them on for $50/wheel, then I would need to have the front and rear aligned. Can someone explain the Strut Assembly? Is it all one piece? There seems to be a list of several parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...........Linda

Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Default RE: STRUTS

an oem strut is useally a two piece, the strut and the shock that goes in the strut...useally the shock is not issue with a clunking noise..its the strut and the strut support and possibly sway bar bushings ....

Old 08-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Default RE: STRUTS

Usually most of thenoise you are describing is a result of worn rear sway bar bushings. The noise in the front is generally from the upper strut mounts - not the struts themselves.
This is not an uncommon problem, and the fix is relatively easy. There is a new style of upper front strut mount available from Toyota (there was a TSB several years ago)....
I am Service & Parts Director at a Toyota dealership (been there since '79), and will be happy to give you part numbers for your vehicle if you would like, to help you find replacements locally.
Make sure you verify that is where the noise is coming from, first!
Jim