Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Tire rotation/balance - questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Default Tire rotation/balance - questions

Hello,

I have a some noobie questions for the forum re: proper approach to tire rotation and balancing. I have a 2007 Camry LE 4-cyl. The owners manual appears to recommend same-side rotation (i.e., front to rear/rear to front, always on same side) (picture only, no text, so I assume that's what they mean!)

1. Does that mean that two tires will always stay on the drivers side and two on the passengers side? i.e., they'll never be put on the opposite side, not even after already rotating once on one side?

2. Recently when I had my all season rubber taken off rims and winter rubber put on, the mechanic mistakenly switched drivers front to passenger front (and vice versa) and driver rear to passenger rear (and vice versa). I had the tires marked properly to guide the switch, but the mechanic messed up. If the Toyota direction noted above is indeed that tires should be front-rear switch and never switch sides, how big a deal is this mechanic's mistake? I'll be keeping the winters on for around 3,500 miles (bringing their total wear to around 7,000 miles on front - albeit once on drivers front once on passengers front but last two rotations on front). Going back for another appointment is a pain so I'd do it only if it could cause significant mechanical issue. I assume it's not?

3. Re: rotation pattern, do I follow tire manufacturer recommendation or car manufacturer (if conflicting direction)? Same question for frequency of rotation/miles/km?

4. My tires get rotated and balanced whenever I change rubber (not rims) for all-seasons/winters. Some places offer to rotate (whole tire/on-rim) when I get an oil change - I assume balancing is only needed when rubber changes on rim?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Front to rear and back is one rotation method among many.

Another method is front to back, back to the opposite side front.

The Toyota rotation method may be valid for the original brand and specific model of tire. Tire type and design can effect the rotation method (as well as rim design).

Check with the tire manufacturer for their recommended rotation method for the specific model of tires you are now using.

As to why not switch sides for mounted tires whose tread is unidirectional (can rotate either direction), switching sides rotates the tire in the other direction. A tire being always rotated in one direction may have gained some set in the ply. Reversing direction may now cause ply separation.

Some newer tire designs may require the front to back only rotation method. This method may not be optimum for tire wear however in this case the tires can be demounted and the rim turned around for mounting on the opposite side of the car.

Since your are already demounting the tires this would not be a problem. They only need rotate in the same direction.

Take note of what the tire manufacturer recommends for a specific model of tire, they know their tires best. Same for how often to rotate.

If the rotation method used by the shop was not what the manufacturer specifies have the shop change the locations to meet whatever method the manufacturer recommends.

Typically balancing is only done with a change of rubber.

It may be some shops offer free rotation to look at the brakes and suspension which if have problems can lead to more service work and $$$.

If you switch between winter and summer tires annually might find a set of used Toyota standard design rims (the lower priced rim available) to mount the snow tires on. Then switch out the tire and rim. This will save on mounting and balance costs which can add up over time.