Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tires going bald at 12000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Default Tires going bald at 12000 miles?

I have an 2010 Toyota Camry SE last time i took it in for an oil change they rotated the tires, two of them were 5/32 and the other two are 4/32 I forgot to mention the Camry is a 3 year 39000 mile lease, but it hardly gets any use. at 18000 miles it's due for the next oil change, who do i complain regarding the tires going bald?

The tires that came with the car are TOYO'S with a thread wear of 200, my mistake for not checking that out before we leased the vehicle, i also purchased a $5000 Dollar excess wear guaranty and there is nothing on the none cover parts list that says Tires.
I still have a year on my lease.

I have done a search for this type of situation but no luck...

Regards,
bookemdano

Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

A life of 20K miles is common for this year of car with OEM tires.

Who pays depends on how the contract was written. A contract can cover the expense of all on going maintenance as done with some fleet leases or nothing.

The $5K excess wear guaranty is for wear and tear issues when turning in the car so the leasee does not pay for these. It is common for this to cover worn out tires. Check with the lease company to determine if turning in the car with worn out tires is covered.

Unless the contract has some kind of maintenance plan written into it, replacement tires during the lease are typically the responsibility of the leasee.

It is doubtful you will receive any credit for installing new tires at your cost.

Depending on the contract you can always swap the current tires for new or used ones then swap back before turn in. This assumes the current tires are legal per tread life left for your state and lease contract terms.

If the guaranty covers worn out tires you can wait longer to have them replaced.

If you are going to replace the tires and turn the car in with the replacement tires on the car make sure any replacement tires meet contract specs. This may include the requirement to meet OEM spec including speed rating, all 5 tires must match, etc.

Get the info on what is covered and who pays then decide what to do.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 AM

Thanks toyomoho...

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Default Replace tires with high mileage tires

I own a 10 camry and I got about 14k out of oem toyo tires. I replaced with Continental Extreme Contact DWS and got about 18k now have michelin primacy mxm4 with about 20k and still have a little life left. I hope to try Nitto Motivo next with a 60k warranty. Nitto (toyo) makes great products. I am a tire salesman and have been in the business for 13 years. Nitto (toyo) balance great, wear great, good technology, and last really well overall.